Lottie just died in my arms.....

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
battychick_kike
Legendary Laner

Re: Lottie just died in my arms.....

Post by battychick_kike »

Sorry to hear about little Lottie, she had a good life free with the wind in her feathers. {hug}

I too echo that a day out of the cages is better than nothing.
But even though the ex battery hen can be frail, some are ever so strong willed and do live a long life.

Hugs to you for giving her a happy and free chickeny life {hug}

Taz

xxxx
[center]Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start.....[/center]

www.freshstartforhens.co.uk

Pearl'n"Ruby
Longlasting Laner

Post by Pearl'n"Ruby »

Poor Lottie and Poor you. At least you know she had a lovely life with you and experienced freedom.
L {hug&kiss}
bernadette
Lively Laner

Post by bernadette »

hi polliesmum,

i have also lost my girl yesterday, so know you are feeling bad, i am so sorry about lottie, and want to send you {hug}

when i took in ex batties i really had no idea how much i would love them. i have always loved all animals but these funny gossipy little old women just invade your heart.

mine are so friendly, love being kissed and cuddled, and i really had no idea they would be so great to keep.

dont be sad about lottie anymore, be proud of yourself for making hers and any others lives a bit special for their last months.

i was so upset yesterday and could not stop crying but today i got up early, cleaned my girls out fed them some maggots and as usual, they made me laugh again.

so i hope that today, you are also feeling much better xxx
A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water!
4c lady
Legendary Laner

Post by 4c lady »

I am so sorry and sending you big hugs. She got to be a real chicken and she loved it. They have such a zest for life once they are given that chance to step outside, to see grass, to see sky and feel the sun on their backs. I shed a tear this morning as I opened the pop hole and 4th out was one of my new little ex batts and she stood by me tugging my sleeve hoping i'd got some mealwoms she also whistling (she doesnt cluck or bok but sort of whistles its so cute). The other 3 also came running out and wanted to go straight out in the garden with the big girls so were very upset when I put them behind their part of the run until I gave them their breakfast. They have discovered food in a big way especially mealworms.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Sorry to hear your sad news about Lottie. {cry}
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Polliesmum
Lively Laner

Post by Polliesmum »

Thank you everyone for your kind words and hugs, everyone on here knows just how they attach themselves to your heart strings!!

Sorry to hear your news Bernadette big {hug} 's to you too.

Stace only one of the three musketeers left if Eggberta is still well (I do hope so).

Perchy - I go away for a few days and when I come back there's a lots of photo avatars on the site, so it's nice to see you, altogether, to see you - nice {rofwl}

Ma - thanks for the pm.

Wendy - I read recently that you had lost your dog so big {hug} 's too as that's a biggie.

Ock - sorry for your recent loss too - we are all finding the downs that go with the ups at the moment.

And thank you everyone for raising my spirits - you are such a kind bunch >mmm< >mmm<
Jane
XXX
1 rescued girlies & 2 new Orpington, 1 poofy dog, 3 kids (flown the coop) and one very long suffering husband

http://www.thebuntingcompany.com
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Post by Teasal »

Sorry about Lottie. But, she has had a lovely life with you, and you have to think of that, and not be sad, although it must be hard for you.

Having lots of hens (80 plus) many ex battery hens, I have lost some obviously. But because I have so many, it does not affect me in the same way as those of you who have a few in the garden .......but I still do not like losing any!!

In the last couple of weeks I have lost 4 ex batteries. But these were the very first ones I had from the BHWT over 4 years ago. Therefore they must have been 5 plus years old, which is not bad going. And they had 4 years of free ranging. None were ill, just sat in the nest box as if they were laying, and when I looked later, they were dead. So a nice way to go!!

Hopefully, you will not lose any more now. When you have any livestock, you do have to try and harden yourself to the inevitable losses that come with it.
maz24
Longlasting Laner

Post by maz24 »

Ohhh how sad but at least poor Lottie had a taste of life with you {hug} {hug} {hug}
Maz