Collapsed!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Collapsed!

Post by Richard »

That's a real shame and an experience which some of us have shared and dread.

I'm afraid it is yet another reason why we must do all we can to put pay to this type of farming.

As that would appear to be a very very long way off, all we can do is support and voice why, if someone is going to keep chickens as pets, people should consider taking ex-battery hens.

Take care now,

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome

lizz79
Lively Laner

Post by lizz79 »

I am so sorry for your loss. Reading this thread made me {cry} . So beautiful that your daughter gave her a name. x Thinking of you liz x
A hug is like a penny on the ground, not really worth much until you really need one!
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

So sorry about Sophie. As others have said, at least she died with someone to care for her rather than in that hell hole. Bless you {hug&kiss}

Lucy x
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Victoria
Lively Laner

Post by Victoria »

Thank you everyone for your caring words. {hug}

Vicki x
Appreciate and enjoy what you DO have!
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Post by Teasal »

Sorry about the loss of your hen. You did all you could, but the hen must have been too ill.I always worry all the way back from the farm, that the hens will survive the journey, and then the next one to their new homes. Thankfully, we have never lost one on the way back.

As I have said before, I have a lot of ex batts among my free range flock. Some of them just seem unable to cope with the outside world. My saddest one, was the ex battery who had been here a few days, and it was time to let them out of the coop into the field for the first time. She came to the pop hole door, and there's where I found here, a few minutes later - dead.

I have had hens a long time, and have long ago become used to dealing with dying hens. But that stuck in my mind, and I really wished she could have enjoyed a little time outside. I do wonder if seeing the outside world was too much of a shock for her.

If I have a sick hen, and I am sure it will not make it, I carry it outside to a quiet part of the field. I am determined they will not die cooped up in a cage or pen. They enjoy freedom while they are here, and thats how they will die if at all possible.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Aww bless you Teasel.

)ot: Thank you for the two hugs I got Saturday.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Laurel
Lively Laner

Post by Laurel »

Hi Vicki,
I've only just seen your post about Sophie. So sorry you lost her, but at least she knew compassion at the end, away from those dreadful cages.xx {cry}
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

Thats very sad. At least you were there with her at the end instead of her just lingering in a dark cramped cage. Well done you and sorry for poor sad Sophie. {cry} {cry}
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.