pie is not laying anymore

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
srunicorn69
Lively Laner

pie is not laying anymore

Post by srunicorn69 »

one of my hens when i had her was having soft shell eggs. then i gave her all the usual supplements and she laid a hard egg after a few days but since that she hasnt laid. is there anything else i can do or is she just going to be one of those hens who doesnt want to lay. it doesnt bother me but as long as long as she will be ok not laying.
sue

Mad Chick

Re: pie is not laying anymore

Post by Mad Chick »

Hi Sue

It could just be the change of environment upsetting her system. If you've only had them a short time, it can take them a while to settle. Our girls went on holiday last year while we were away and they didn't lay for weeks afterwards. They're typical girlies, any change to their lives and their hormones go mad }hairout{

Lucy x
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

One of my posh girls stopped laying too. She is only 18months old and always laid golf ball shaped tiny eggs. She stopped laying 5 months ago after a mould and never started again. She is the boss and maybe too busy sorting the others out :-D
I guess it's just one of those things +confused+
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Hi, you don't mention how old your hen is, if she is a young hen she should still be laying, even if occasionally.

If she is an older hen, depending on her breed, etc., it may be that all her eggs have been depleted and that she won't lay again.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Yes, definitely could be due to age - young or old, any change in enviornment or sorting out the pecking order!! They're very sensitive souls {hug&kiss}
Small steps lead to big changes
srunicorn69
Lively Laner

Post by srunicorn69 »

she has laid an egg. its her third one in nine days. but now i know who it is that occasionally lays absolutly huge eggs, its pie. do you think this is why she isnt laying every day or should i put it down to being moved around. as far as i was told she was just over twelve months and ready to go to slaughter. i dont mind if she doesnt lay as long as she is ok.
sue
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

I have only had 2 double yolkers from one bird.
The first one it really made her well, not good. She then had a 2 week break.
the 2nd one seemed to be no problrm - as she laid a normal for her sized egg.