One of our girls is missing

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Draygor
Lively Laner

One of our girls is missing

Post by Draygor »

Hi all,

I was just looking for some thoughts and advice. The night before last, I put the girls away as normal counted 1...2...3! I let them out yesterday morning 6.50 am 1...2...3! When I cam home from work yesterday at 2pm, there were only 2 in the run :? . Now this has happened many times where they get over the run fence and out into the garden, but thats all that has ever happened, they have stayed in the garden.

I have checked with my neighbours, looked thoroughly in the field behind the garden, and even walked the streets - no sign.

There is no evidence of her anywhere in, around or outside of the garden - no scratching, no feathers, no droppings and more importantly - no blood.

If someone has picked her up and is looking after her then I'm fine with that, but the thought of her suffering anywhere is more than my wife can handle. {cry}

How far will chickens go from their home, and could she return - I know she isn't a homing pigeon, but just wondering if they can find their way home?

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Never expect the enemy to be where you expect them to be!!

irishwillow
Lively Laner

Re: One of our girls is missing

Post by irishwillow »

yes they can wander off and return. I had one hen when I lived in england that did go away over night.luckily she returned very noisily the next day as though it was my fault, so dont give up hope yet. I hope she returns safe and sound.
live simply that others may simply live!
Lola
Lively Laner

Post by Lola »

I hope she comes home soon, fingers crossed for you!
The wicked witch of the (south) west!
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

Has she got stuck behind something. That is what happened to my sister in laws chook and they found her after about 2 or 3 days wedged behind a fence panel and the shed. They `will` squeeze into tiny spaces.
Hope you find her. {hug}
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Draygor
Lively Laner

Post by Draygor »

Thanks guys,

I have looked everywhere I can think of looking where she might have squeezed in, but I would have thought she would complain as she is very vocal. Unfortunately I have not been able to hear anything anywhere {cry}
The trouble is behind the field is a main road, so I have driven up and down there this morning for a mile in each direction looking for her, and thankfully didn't find her on the road anywhere.

Fingers crossed she will return!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

My fingers are crossed for you too. We did have someone here with a hen that was missing for several days before she turned up, so don't give up hope just yet.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
4c lady
Legendary Laner

Post by 4c lady »

I hope she suddenly turns up there is nothing worse and so much worry. Coral one of my ex batts (now sadly died) used to hide up the garden when I was putting everyone in run so I could go to work and I never noticed she wasnt there and she was my most vocal girl and then get home at 4 to find her enjoying herself in the garden. Red my Rhodie girl tried the same trick but when I got home at 4 she was shouting and stamping her feet at the run door with the others the other side of the door trying to get out. As soon as I opened the run door Red pushed past everyone to get to the food bowl - she has never done the same trick again she likes her food too much. Keeping my fingers crossed she comes home.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Could you do a bit of door knocking to see if anyone has her or seen her. In the meantime I would make the fence alot higher.
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

...and maybe she is quietly brooding on your property...
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

http://goldenhillsfarm.blogspot.com/201 ... -farm.html
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Sadly, my money is on you know who.
Draygor
Lively Laner

Post by Draygor »

Thanks for all the tips guys.
Grannyof4 - I have knocked all the doors in our street - asked the postman, the milkman, the binmen, the paperboy etc etc. No one has seen her.
Stevethegas, wouldn't there have been some sort of sign to show that Mr F had her. A work colleague of mine had his 4 killed by Foxy and only took one - I just assumed there would be feathers or blood {cry}

If there is a miraculous return I will let you all know.

Thanks
lawlaw
Lively Laner

Post by lawlaw »

Aw this is sad to hear,let's hope she's just gone for a wander..
I agree that there would probably be some sign of a struggle if it was foxey. Are the other two ok? They would probably look a bit shocked if an attack had happened?
Draygor
Lively Laner

Post by Draygor »

Yes Lawlaw - the other 2 are fine - and they weren't skittish on the day she went missing either? Just so strange!!
lawlaw
Lively Laner

Post by lawlaw »

Let's hope she gets hungry and makes her way home! I have my fingers crossed for you
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Post by Teasal »

Do hope your hen returns, I have had them go off for a couple of days from free ranging in our field, and return safe.

Is there any chance your hen has been scared, maybe by a cat, and is hiding? They go under sheds, in planters, stupid places, we may not even think to look.

But, young foxes are on the prowl in the daytime, and just lately I have lost a couple of hens during daylight - and really gutted as one of my copper black pullets went yesterday too. They pick up the hen, and carry them off, have managed to frighten the fox enough to make it drop the hen once, and it was ok, but missing a few feathers. So, there would not necessarily be any feathers left as evidence.

No feathers in my field, just the hens had gone {cry}