A lump - an impacted crop maybe !!!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
morph
Longlasting Laner

A lump - an impacted crop maybe !!!

Post by morph »

Hiya

My White Star, Doughnut seems to have a lump on the right side of her breast. After having a look at chicken anatomy, and doing a bit of research, it seems it could be a problem with her crop?

Does anyone have any ideas if it could be an impacted crop?

The lump is around the size of a tennis ball, and she's happy and healthy in every other way (and still laying).

I noticed it around 3 days ago, and it's just got bigger. At first I thought she was getting fat, until I saw it was only on the one side!!

Now, I can give her oil etc, but I've read some info on putting a tube into her crop and "flushing it out". I don't feel comfortable with that, as I wouldn't have a clue which was her trachea!!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!
Small steps lead to big changes

lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Ooh Morph, i hope she is alright. xxx
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
wendy

Post by wendy »

I haven't a clue either.
I have fed a tortoise through a tube into the stomach. But I had to be shown how to do it first by London Zoo. I don't think I would have attempted it without help.
Thats sounds pretty large, does seem like it is something to do with her crop. Maybe the problem is more the fact that food is only going one side rather than that side not emptying.
Looks like a visit to the vet maybe in order.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

It could be impacted crop or sour crop, I've only ever had to deal with sour crop, she drank & drank & drank so much water it was like a water filled balloon, it was awful, on both accasions I fed her lots of natural yoghurt & on one other occasion she needed baytril, 1/4 of a tablet once a day for a week, egg withdrawal for 3 weeks.
I had to empty her crop over the bath which wasn't nice for all concerned, I tipped her up & small bursts of massage then tip back upright again, repeat giving her stacks of time to recover & avoid her aspirating it into her lungs, it's horrible horrible horrible to do, It was a sunday night for me so i had to do something, it worked, but it was awful.
It can be fungal or bacterial & my vet said you can't tell which, for the fungal one you'd use nystatin which requires & prescription to get it from a chemist.
Impacted crop they've never had, I've read all sorts about empyting it & all sorts of other horrors including cutting open their crop, which i personally wouldn't touch with a barge pole, for me it'd be a vet job.
Sorry I can't be more help.
Good luck with her.
Cheers
mel x
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I would try lifting her off the perch at night (easier to get her than trying to catch her), and gently masaging. See if that does any good.
Does she seem Ok otherwise?
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

If impacted crop liquid paraffin syringed gently into the mouth can remove any obstructions. Massage the paraffin when in the crop. I used about 1ml per ex batt size bird morning and night. You may only need one does if the obstruction ( if it is one) is softened.
If you have cod liver oil you could use that instead, Morph. Same dose.
They take years out of you don't they? :?
Chucky Egg
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Hiya all - thanks for the advice and comments.

They all have oil daily anyway.........I was going to give oil in bread and a massage a go, but from the advice from the vet, it doesn't seem enough......

I've managed to locate a vet, and he says it sounds like impacted crop.

She's absolutely fine at the moment - laying, eating etc......

He's told me to do a wash out with a tube pushed down her throat, taking care to go past the hole at the back of the tongue, and then massage it upwards. As it's so big, he says that's the best way.........if it doesn't work, then he'll see her tomorrow and wash it out also. He seemed a nice guy, which is good, and understood she was a pet, and not just "another chicken". He advised about the success rate though :cry:

Anyway - I'm just going to flexi off today (thank god for flexi), at 3.15pm and see if I can get this done. I don't have a tube - will have to try and find one.......then give it a go!!!!

I wish I could go home now!!!!!!!!!!!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Good luck
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

yes, good luck Morph.
Chucky Egg
Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

One of mine had an impacted crop just after we first got her. It was really hard, like a sock over-stuffed with grain. I had success with syringing in cod liver oil, about 2.5ml, and then massaging for about 10 minutes. Once you get going you can really feel things loosening up. I gave her 3 doses during the day and the next morning it had cleared, thank goodness. The following week she did the same, treated it and no problems since.
Good luck
Tania
See my chickens HERE!!
New pictures, ex-batts added 4/11/07
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Good luck Morph xx
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
cheeky chicken
Lively Laner

Post by cheeky chicken »

How's it going Morph?

How is poorly chicken, have you had to perform an operation yet?
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Hi all

Well- I did it............I bought myself a scalpel, and made the daring incision.......

Nah - oil, massage, and hey presto!!!!

She's much better thanks - PHEW!!!!!!
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

well done my girl & your little hen, they quite like a massage anyway )t'
Cheers
mel x
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Yes Mel - I should be charging her £15 or more for one shouldn't I!!!