deadly nightshade

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
chickdom
Lively Laner

deadly nightshade

Post by chickdom »

Hi there, this is my first post on this really cool site! Im very new to owning chooks and I was wondering what plants are deadly to them or can make them really sick? I have been searching the net for this information but nothing is consistent. In particular, chookie reactions to deadly nightshade. Any info appreciated. (f+

wendy

Post by wendy »

Welcome to the forum
They seem to have an inbuilt knowledge of what is not good for them.
Chickens have wandered free range around farms for hundreds of years and seemed to have managed. LOL
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
manda

Post by manda »

Hi There
Yep as Wendy said they pretty much have a built in radar for plants that aren't good for them.
Mine wander all over the place and to be honest I haven't pulled anything up and they have been ok (so far) :-D
chickdom
Lively Laner

Thanks, should I get an ex-battery?

Post by chickdom »

Hi thanks for that. Its just that I let the girls out for a peck around yesterday and they were eating the nightshade berries, not alot mind you, but I was just a bit concerned. They all seem fine today, no one has dropped! I just introduced 6 more birds to the run today and they all seem to be managing just fine with each other! (much to my relief :-D ). So I have ten girls(2 bantams) and 1 boy, and seriously considering getting an ex-battery. Here in New Zealand it is just coming into winter and can get -0 at times. Should I wait until it starts to get warmer before I get an ex-batt? :) thanks
manda

Post by manda »

Where abouts are you? I'm in North Canterbury and yep it is starting to get a bit chilly!
I would say if you know of some ex-batts that are going get them, you run the risk of losing them (but then that's a risk anytime) but the one thing is for sure if you don't get them now they'll definitely die. As long as you have somewhere draught free for them, thats the most important thing if they are a bit bald (I've got one of mine at the moment is looking like an oven ready again as she has gone into a rapid moult so she is feeling the colder weather).

Re the nightshade...eep an eye on the amount of berries they eat, because they can be toxic to animals....if you have a lot of it and they keep going back to it then you may need to look at pulling it up or weedkill it if you can...but I know we have quite a bit of the hairy nightshade ( the weedy one with the white flowers) and I haven't had any of my girls poisoned.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi Manda,

Nice to meet you and look forward to hearing more about your chickens.

They'll take care. They have small brains, but an awlful lot going on inside them !!

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Woody
Lively Laner

Post by Woody »

Hi
Welcome to the site, we are a friendly bunch, I have learnt so much since joining the forum a few Months back. As for what's safe for the birds to eat, As already said they know already what's safe for them to eat! they know far more than most of us will ever know, my birds eat our Rhubarb leaves whenever they get the chance and they have come to no harm. As for deadly nightshade as far as I can recall, other animals like Rabbits & Hares eat it anyway, I think it may be only poisonous to us? a bit like Chocolate, Grapes, Raisins & Currents are poisonous to dogs and not to us.

Woody
chickdom
Lively Laner

this is very loooong.....

Post by chickdom »

HI ....this is a very loooong post sorry!
Manda, Im in Canterbury too! Sumner to be precise. Thanks for that, I think this weed must be the "hairy" one too, as it also has white flowers (I'm not too good on my flora). I cleared it from their run before I put them in it...as I was advised. But when I let them out for a peck in the garden they went straight for it!
I had an interesting evening tonight, clipping the wings of two new but naughty little bantams who wanted to fly over to the neighbours, talk about getting some exercise as they certainly gave me the run around. But I think my hubby might be feeling a little left out (and concerned!) as I spent most of the day in there chatting to my girls...can one be locked up for that? confused>
As for the ex-batts. I dont know of any at the moment but One can almost guarantee there will be a few hundred needing a saviour or two?!! :cry: I thought I would either phone around or just take a drive. Im not too excited about going into one of THOSE places, but I guess Im going to have to put on a brave face. )de:
The house I have my girls in used to be a kiddies playhouse that I have converted. It is an open space with netting over a window and an open doorway, its pretty sheltered, but I guess it could become a little cold through the winter, any advice?thanks
manda

Post by manda »

I'm just North of Rangiora...(I have a friend moving over from the UK is renting a place in Sumner from the beginning of August) so I'm not far from you..small world eh?

I'm a mental health nurse and I talk to my girls..so as far as I'm concerned you can' t get locked up for it and I'm sticking to that!!

As far as the house is concerned is there a bit of Tarpaulin you could stick over the door or something or put something in front of it to reduce any wind blowing directly- as they really need to avoid draughts if possible...having said that mine all sleep out on the loading ramp, which is right next to their current house (plans to move them soon).. so they completely disprove that theory!!