We have got our girls

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Re: We have got our girls

Post by secret squirrel »

Well this is what I do. If I can do it anyone can because I am the original luddite.
Open up the photobucket page and also the forum page at the same time.
Type what you want on the forum and then go to the photobucket and 'copy'
Take it back to the forum page and 'paste'where you want it to be on the page. )t'

Sorry if thats a bit simplistic, but its how I do it.. Good luck. Once you have done it once you will be fine.
lorna {hug}
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.

Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Not sure how many photos have come through, OH's first attempt.

Here are our girls in their new home. Minor adjustments have already been made, and the outside shelter is being re-designed.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Lovely hens :-D
and grass too envy}}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks Steve. Will leave the technical side to OH. We thought we had deleted the duplicate picture, but it is still there!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Our girls are now in their fourth day with us. They are an absolute delight. They spend most of their day scratching up the grass in their run, the "lawn" is getting smaller and smaller. Yesterday OH made a new shelter for them. The original was their gateway to escape, so had to be re-designed. Today is very warm, and they are using their shelter in between scratting around.

I am letting them out at seven in the morning, and because we have had to be out in the evenings this week, am putting them to bed at around seven at night. I am wary in case a predator calls in the later evening. They don't seem to object to their curfew, but after tomorrow evening, I will let them stay out in the run later. Last night it was eight o'clock when I put them inside, and it took two attempts to get the reluctant one to bed.

So far, I have not got them any grit. I am unsure how much to give them, and how often. This afternoon, they are having a small amount of corn.

Two eggs a day has been the average, though the first day they all laid for me.

We will hopefully put more photos on later this week.

Just going to check on them again!
pinkchicky
Lively Laner

Post by pinkchicky »

I have a container with grit mixed with oyster shell available all the time. I then also cook their empty egg shells break them up and mix that in with their feed.

Wing clipping won't stop them escaping as one of mine is an expert and has her wing clipped (not by me)! }hairout{
Claire
Chick, chick, chick, chick, chicky lay a little egg for me!
Our other lovelies include 3 cats, 2 pond gold fish and a handful of tropical fish. x x
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I think the grit is quite important. I have 3 pots of it in those little stainless steel coops that hook onto the sides of the runs and I just make sure there is always a fair bit in them.
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I will get the grit tomorrow when we go to shop. OH seems to think they will get grit from the soil! Thank you for your replies.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

OH is quite right- they will get grit- soluble grit. It's the non- soluble calcium they need to make shells, this is found in cockle/oyster shell. )t'
korgscrew
Lively Laner

Post by korgscrew »

What we have learned is to keep them in their run for a couple of hours in the morning if we are going to be in for the day.

The layer pelletts are essential in their diet. If they dont eat these they have more chance of getting egg peritonitis which is a lack of calcium and egg shells cannot be formed so the yolks store in the abdomen and is a horrible thing and nothing can be done if spotted when symptoms are visable.

So, we keep them in their run with nothing but water and layers pelletts and grit while we are at work during the day, or for a couple of hours in weekends before we let them out in the garden to free range and give them treats like corn and meal worms in the evening.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Grit is on the shopping list for the morning, but as I view the now semi-naked run, I am wondering if there is a product I can use to sanitise it. I am picking up the poo when I am around, clearing the overnight poo daily, but wonder about the soil, and if it should be treated.

Korgscrew - I wonder how long you had your girls before you let them out of the run? We have a farm field at the bottom of our garden, and I am one hundred percent sure that they will hop over the fence to see if the grass is greener on that side.

This first week is fun. I gave them corn this afternoon, and they devoured it. The layers pellets are going down slowly. Apple cores and toast have been ignored.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I think you can use Stalosan F, we use that inside our Walk-in-Run and also sprinkle some in the soil part of the run at the bottom of the garden.

Stalosan F
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Couldn't get any Stalosan F at the animal feed store today. Are there any alternatives? I did wonder about the safety of Jeyes Fluid, or will I be kicked off the site?

Have bought some corn on the cob today - I am unsure whether to cook it before giving it to them. OH said "is this for us or for .....?" Also given them some cabbage leaves, which they discarded in favour of grit and corn mixed.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Lovely pictures of your gorgeous girls Spreckly :-D

I just leave a plastic pot hung to the side of the run with grit in and the girls have a good peck at it.

Also learn't from here that it's okay to use Jeyes fluid for cleaning.... I put a cap full into a bucket of water and scrub their eglu and all seems okay.

Will look at Stalosan F also... understand you can clean with that too?
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.