Strange egg.

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Shrek
Lively Laner

Strange egg.

Post by Shrek »

We now think that all three of the chickens are now laying eggs (Kylie being the last to oblige, and only within the last couple of days).

Today we had a very strange looking egg................ almost transparent/opaque with more of a "synthetic thick skin" rather than a shell. I can't provide a photo as Chris has already binned it.

All other eggs (from the other two) are fine, I suspect this egg to be Kylies and that she is physically still getting "the hang of it".

Your opinions .............
One elderly cat called Chloe and Zak the baby tom.... Betty the Speckledy, Maggie the Black Rock and Kylie the Bluebelle !!!

milli
Longlasting Laner

Re: Strange egg.

Post by milli »

I would think as you say, she is probably having a little practice, and will be laying perfect beautiful eggs soon. We have some very strange eggs from our ex-batty girls most days, little Buttercup lays a wrinkly egg and one of the others lays one which is a different shape at each end. But to us all their eggs are just beautiful! :-D
15 ex batty girls, 2 rescue jack russels and one very naughty Shih Tzu puppy who rules the household!!!
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

"L"
sezzy
Lively Laner

Post by sezzy »

Hi shrek :-D
I had the same thing with my girl, onion, she laid a clutch of 5 eggs,with as you said a thick skin instead of shell, i rang my vet as i didnt know what was going on, she told me to increase her calcium levels, so now they all get crushed egg shell and a small amount of cuttle fish, (scrapped) into their mash once a week, never (touch wood) had it since.
>fi<
sarah
Mummy/slave to Piper and Bailey(dogs) Koda and Willow (cats) Bubble, Squeak, Sage and Onion.(chooks)
RIP Rhubarb and custard gone but not forgotten