Newbee

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Kazgaz
Learner Laner

Newbee

Post by Kazgaz »

I just wanted to say hello and thank you {hug} . We are new to keeping chickens having only collected our 4 girls (2 Bluebells and 2 Isa Browns) 3 weeks ago.

They settled in brilliantly, it was a bit disconcerting as they sorted out the pecking order, but by day two it was if they’d always been together – and we got 2 eggs!

However, this past Saturday I went to let them out as usual, and down came Henrietta with loads of feathers missing, looking like a burst pillow. I was distraught, at first I thought the others had ganged up on her, but she had no wounds and they were getting along just as they always do, there was nothing wrong with her appetite and she did her usual trick of looking me in the eye as she kicked the neat pile of dirty bedding (that I’d swept ready to dispose of) back into the henhouse behind her. So then my imagination went into overdrive and I convinced myself that she probably wouldn’t survive, particularly as it was so cold.

Then I discovered this forum. I’d read that chickens moult, but not that it could happen in sub zero temperatures and so spectacularly! I now know different and you’ve saved my sanity and my future in chicken keeping.

Henrietta is fine, her sisters (Eva Diva, Rosie and Flo) cuddle up with her at night so she’s nice and warm, and she’s really enjoying the meal worms (so are the others – their motto seems to be all for one, and one for all). I know that there will be many crisis occurring in our future, but it’s so comforting to know that there are so many likeminded and experienced chicken people out there willing to offer advice to us novices.

Thank you, thank you, thank you :-D
Kaz

Steve the Gas

Re: Newbee

Post by Steve the Gas »

Welcome )t'

A pleasure.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Welcome to the forum. Glad we were here when you needed us.
Some hens moult more dramatically than others, for some it seems to be a few feathers at a time over a long period, others - wow.
And some young hens don't moult in the first winter (no-one told her that though)

Next oddity will be all the dandruff in the coop from the tips that cover the new feathers as they come through.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Hello Kaz,
Greetings and welcome to The Lane )wav(
No question is too silly so ask away if there's a problem or concern )t'
Dom & Ali
Ali Woks My World
Kazgaz
Learner Laner

Post by Kazgaz »

Thanks - I'm sure I'll have plenty of 'silly' questions. :-D
Kaz
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Welcome to the lane :-D
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Hi Kaz

A warm welcome to the forum from me too )wav(
One of ours moulted for the first time this winter and I couldn't believe she even had that many feathers to start with :shock: Try to give her a little extra protein, that will help with the feather regrowth, Poultry Spice is supposed to be helpful when moulting too. It won't be long until she's got her frilly knickers back and looking gorgeous again )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
perchy

Post by perchy »

Hello and welcome to the lane, scared me to death when one of my girls came down the ramp one morning, had a good shake and lost half her body weight in feathers yike*
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

And sometimes they seem to choose not to grow feathers back in all places. Our grey has definitely decided she likes having a bare bum!

They do as they choose, chickens!
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
Kazgaz
Learner Laner

Post by Kazgaz »

Thanks everyone,

I can't wait to see what the other three have in store for me!

:?
Kaz
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Welcome from me too )wav(
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen