chicken proof garden plants

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
loulabelle
Learner Laner

chicken proof garden plants

Post by loulabelle »

Hi we've been letting our girls free range in the garden and so far the have eaten every geranium i had and are now using the large patio pots as raised dust baths ( will my deck ever look the same?) I have what i call a mediterrean planting, lavenders, rosemary ( the lavenders and rosemary seem relatively robust) and lots of climbers round the fencing. do any of you know of any plants that chickens are particularly fussed at , as my passion flower is now encased behind chicken wire!
any help would be great
lou
do i just have to resign myself to having either chickens or plants? I' m hoping not )t( >ch<

Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: chicken proof garden plants

Post by Totally Scrambled »

So far in their rn the only things they haven't managed to uproot, eat or turn into bare earth are the trees :-D
Dom
Ali Woks My World
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

A Cactus!... )j; ......even then it probably wouldn't survive!!. {rofwl}
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Tony H
Lively Laner

Post by Tony H »

Plastic one's {rofwl}
Bristolianbelle
Lively Laner

Post by Bristolianbelle »

I had to use an assortment of pea netting and resigned myself to the fact that I no longer had pots on the patio. Although the girls havnt demolished my Acer and Lavender.

From the kitchen window.

I used a screen with pea netting to section off the part of the garden that has some toxic plants and a small pond in it. It's still a work in progress with the garden. I have had the girls since November, so this will be the first spring balancing the girls and garden. Im planning to attatch planters and hanging baskets high up on the walls to add a little colour to the main garden.

my blog
http://louisesetter.blogspot.com/
Wife,Mum of two and 6 hybrids. Bluebelle the Bluebelle, Aileen the Bovan Nera, Lilly the Amber Star , Violet the Columbian Black Tail, Beatrix the Light Sussex and Florence the Speckledy.
loulabelle
Learner Laner

Post by loulabelle »

Thanks for the advice Bristolianbelle, loving the photos think I'm going to have to section areas of the garden off. not sure whether our grass will every recover though!
lou
Bristolianbelle
Lively Laner

Post by Bristolianbelle »

Fortunatly we replaced the lawn (well more weed than grass) a few years ago with chippings. The girls love digging huge holes in it when they free range and all I do when they are back in their Walk-in-Run is go around with a rake to level it back again. I hose it down on a reg basis as well. I used to have a small willow tree in their Walk-in-Run. It used to have leaves on it...... not anymore lol. They use it as a catapult to reach the roof of the coop. :-D
my blog
http://louisesetter.blogspot.com/
Wife,Mum of two and 6 hybrids. Bluebelle the Bluebelle, Aileen the Bovan Nera, Lilly the Amber Star , Violet the Columbian Black Tail, Beatrix the Light Sussex and Florence the Speckledy.
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

I think the only truly chicken proof plants are large shrubs - they dont bother with lavender but even with that they can damage the roots scratching about - mine just get supervised time in the garden - they always head straight for any bedding plants!
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

I have hanging baskets all around the fencing ..and one bay tree in a pot on the patio that is still intact.I gave up on the ground except for a few shrubs.
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
julieann
Legendary Laner

Post by julieann »

I have an evergreen shrub in a big pot that they haven't touched( not sure what it is)....I think someone mentioned that they dont touch ever greens. My lavender has stayed safe as have dafs. Also there is a buddlia actually in their run which they haven't demolished....they probably will now ive said that, oh and a fake castor oil plant has been spared. Apart from that it is complete desimation, no lawn nothing, they are now in their own large run and I'm going to redo the garden, little )de:
Julie x
janepick
Legendary Laner

Post by janepick »

In my Walk-in-Run I have ornamental grass, a spirea and a buddlia which were pretty well established, a rose bush and some cotoneasters. I thought they weren't supposed to like lavender so put loads in pots.........they gobbled it all up.
Jane x
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Chuck proof plants...... :shock: {rofwl}
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

Steve the Gas wrote:Chuck proof plants...... :shock: {rofwl}

Yes lou Im afraid its true!
Having said that, my bergenia, helliobores, daffodils, snowdrops, cornflowers, ornamental grasses, michaelmas daisies have all been left untouched. The established shrubs are fine too. But then my girls are far too busy with an acre in which to FR to concentrate on any 1 specific area.

Now that Im gardening, the BEST fun is had when its 'move the flowerpot' game -
I move the flower pots on the patio and hens come FLYING from all over the place
to get at the insects/grubs etc underneath. )loo(
lynniepinnie
Longlasting Laner

Post by lynniepinnie »

Totally Scrambled wrote:So far in their rn the only things they haven't managed to uproot, eat or turn into bare earth are the trees :-D
Dom

{rofwl} {rofwl} my trees are still intact too but don't even try and walk accross the run or yo'll fall into pits the size the grand canyon!
3 dogs Harvey, Dylan and Betsy, 3 cats Merlin, Molly Mog & Lilly, 6 hens Eleanor, Eva, Ellen, Elizabeth, Hannah & Hetty 1 cockerel Frodo 3 Ducks Sarah, Winnie & Mary RIP Enid :( RIP Emily :( RIP Olga :( RIP Rosie :( RIP Ellie, RIP Evil Edna, RIP Esther :(