How will I know who is laying eggs?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Dean H
Lively Laner

Re: How will I know who is laying eggs?

Post by Dean H »

I know I've been on Facebook too long, I read MissEllies post regarding the felt tip pens and immediately went to press the 'like' button... )t'
Dean.
I may have to grow older, but it doesn't mean I have to grow up!

MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

{rofwl} but the credit goes to Lucy )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
julieann
Legendary Laner

Post by julieann »

Jenny wrote:Thank you tamk23 - will go and look on the net for blue bell and rhode rocks.

sometimes different breeders call the same hybrids different names, what others refer to as a bluebell my supplier called a blue haze )t'
Julie x
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

I have found that you soon learn who lays what.
My 3 have been laying for around 2 months. They are all the same breed.
When we got the first egg I had no idea who did the deed!, but because there was only one laying we soon realised who it was. She also lays whopping big eggs, her smallest being 79g! they are also lighter than everyone elses.
The second hen to lay was quite shouty, so we quickly learned when she was laying. She lays darker, speckly eggs. The third lays the same coloured eggs as number 2 but they tend to have no speckles.

No idea how people could keep track if they had lots of chickens, but 3 is manageable :)
It also helps if the appearance of the eggs is different.
pegpuss
Lively Laner

Post by pegpuss »

Ok, I confess....last weekend (the luxery of 4 days off work over Easter) I did chicken spying. I basically watched who disappeared into the coop then pounced as soon as she emerged to retrieve the egg. I wrote the name of the lady responsible on each egg and after 4 days of doing that I realised they really do have different "signatures" in terms of egg shape and size!
As a result I've been giving eggs with names to my colleagues much to their amusement :oops:
2 weeks in with my 5 ex batts and they're still giving me 3 or 4 eggs every day :-D
Emma

Love my boy Sylvester and his current wives Beatrice, Gladys, Isabella, Juniper, Kitty, Lottie, Maud, Nora, Milly and Prudence. Gone but never forgotten Arabella, Clara, Dolly, Edwina, Florrie and Hilda.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I think the technical term for the shouting is Cackling.
They run around saying
"I've laid an EGGGG, laid an EGGGG"
You'll know it when you hear it.
Odd really, you'd think they'd do it quietly to avoid predators and egg thieves.

Yes, different breeders call hybrids from the same parents by different names.
I have Black Rocks (Rhode Island Red / Plymouth Rock) like your black one, and once had a Kingsley Blue (?/Marran) like the grey one. I think Black Rock is a registered trade mark, for birds bred from that particular strain of parents.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

pegpuss wrote:Ok, I confess....last weekend (the luxery of 4 days off work over Easter) I did chicken spying. I basically watched who disappeared into the coop then pounced as soon as she emerged to retrieve the egg. ...........

I think we've all done that with our first hens.

pegpuss wrote:2 weeks in with my 5 ex batts and they're still giving me 3 or 4 eggs every day

You've been lucky then. Sometimes the shock of the move means that they lay the eggs that were in the pipeline (2? 4? not sure quite I only know about exbatts from reading here) then have a week or two off to get used to things.
Long may it continue.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

My ex-bats were all laying when I got them & continued to do so without a break - much to my surprise. They're almost 2 years out now, and home-grown eggs are a rare treasure around here at the moment.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

I have 2 ginger rangers their eggs are both brown but little Rosies are freckly and rounder than Poppys whos are slightly bigger.The 2 Miss pepperpots ..Clover has larger eggs but are paler in colour and Evas are browner but always has a crease marks on them...2 nest boxes and they all lay in the same box and all next too each other.
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

As I got to know our girls, I got to know their egg colour and shape etc.

Our Dottie makes pale cream coloured eggs, she's black/ginger - having said that, it's very much when she feels like it as I think she's taken early retirement!!!

Elsie and Hilda's eggs in colour are pretty similar, but every now and then Elsie will make a huge whopper of an egg!! Elsie is grey/white stripey and Hilda is ginger :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

I get 1 egg a day, from little Dolly. Perfect light brown eggs, all practically identical and they taste beautiful )t'
LYN