Advice needed

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Bob B
Learner Laner

Advice needed

Post by Bob B »

I am fairy new to keeping hens I had six ex Bats know down to four.I have a poorley Hen up to a couple of weeks ago running around with the others and then and to date does not want to do anything, she is eating a little and drinking, but has a yellow discharge.
She has been wormed with Flubevet, any sugestions would be appreiciated ?

Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Re: Advice needed

Post by Grannyof4 »

Sounds like she may have a broken egg....does it look like yolk? Some people would don a rubber glove, vaseline and go for a rummage but I would be down to my vet. I am not squeemish but don't like to go where I am not sure.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Granny may well be right, while you are waiting for the vet appointment , you could try a warm belly bath that just might help the softie /broken egg along , in any case it will clean the hen up for the vet to check over.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

I see you have already had good advice from Granny and Annie )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Bob B
Learner Laner

Post by Bob B »

Hi all thanks for the advice, I will try the belly bath and see what happens I will let you know.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Sorry to sound a bit blunt but it might have been an idea to do the belly bath yesterday to see if it helped and if not get her to the vet a.s.a.p today. It could turn nasty to EYP...egg yolk peritonitis
Bob B
Learner Laner

Post by Bob B »

Hi Granny of 4 you can be as blunt as you wish , but did not know of this possible solution until I read the post today. As I have stated I am fairley new to keeping Hens and am open to advise hence the question.