poorly chicken

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Vic
Lively Laner

poorly chicken

Post by Vic »

Hi,

We've had two chickens for just over a month. One is thriving, the other has become increasingly listless over the past week. She's eating a little (corn, pellets, scraps - but no meat or dairy) but is very weak and has diahorrea. We've thought of worming but she is still young and not laying yet, and we've read somewhere worming can take it out of them. Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks,

Vic

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hello Vic,

Just passing through my mind of being egg bound, but she hasn't laid yet.

It could be worth a phone call to the place where you got them, just to check out that somethings not going around amongst that flock.

Sometimes they do go through a quiet stage, but at the same time, it can be a sign of something wrong.
Is there bleeding around the vent, in the poo and is she trying to peck that area.
There are so many illness's which have the same symptons - that's the problem
If in doubt, take her to a Vet, but to be honest not all of them know a lot about Chickens.
Maybe a phone call to one first?

Watch her friend as well for any signs of illness.

Wish I could be more help.

Anyone else any thoughts?

Richard
Last edited by Richard on 21 May 2007, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Post by wendy »

None at all Richard.
I agree, ring the breeder and if no luck, then a vet..
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
seahorse
Legendary Laner

poorly chick

Post by seahorse »

Hi Vic, make sure you see her drink water or offer it to her in a bowl. My rooster was very sick, not eating and very listless but i'm sure he got over it because he kept up his fluid intake. I still think he was poisoned by possibly slug pellets or eating the dying slugs.
Annie
Looove chucks!
Vic
Lively Laner

Post by Vic »

She is drinking water and seems a little stronger today, but the vet's definitely my next stop. No pecking her bum, or redness. Thanks for all your suggestions.