Bluebelle's Stopped Laying!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Bluebelle's Stopped Laying!

Post by KathJ »

Hello, I'm new to the forum and also new to chicken keeping. We've had our four girls (Bluebelle, Roxy, Ranger and Speckel) for about 6 weeks. Ranger's still quite young and hasn't started laying yet but the other 3 started a couple of weeks after we had them. However, we haven't had an egg from Bluebelle now for well over a week. We contacted the lady we had them from to see if this was normal as she was still clucking and going in and out of the next box but not producing anything. She told us it was unusual and she could be egg bound which can be fatal if we didn't act straight away. Therefore, we hot footed to the vets on Monday night, he had a good feel round and did an x-ray but couldn't see an egg anywhere and as she was eating, drinking and acting normally couldn't see anything wrong with her. The experience cost twice as much as she did but at least we had peace of mind :? I know that they won't lay every day and that it tails off in the winter anyway but can anyone give any advice on how long we should go without an egg before we start to worry and if this has happened to them?
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx

jackian
Legendary Laner

Re: Bluebelle's Stopped Laying!

Post by jackian »

Welcome to the forum :-D It is not unusual at all.
I reckon she is still practising , when they first come into lay it takes them a while to sort them selves.I certainly would not worry at all. )t'
If she was egg bound or have a soft egg ready to lay (this sometimes happens ) she would be feeling poorly until it was passed.Head down and into her neck ,very quiet ,possibly not eating and sometimes in hiding like in a hedge or behind the coup and away from the other chickens....as soon as a soft egg has passed she would be back to normal doing chickeny things.
If you have hybreds then this winter you may get eggs all the way through .
I am sure if I am wrong some one else will be along soon.You will always find good advice on here.
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Hello )wav(

I agree with Jackian, she'll still be practising, are you positive she's not laying anywhere secret? I've had hens suddenly preferring to lay under a tree where I can't reach instead of the nest box {rofwl} Have a good look around.
Like Jackian said, if she was egg bound you'd notice, she'd be all hunched up, very tired, not moving much, off her food etc.

Hopefully she'll get back in the swing of things
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

Hi Kath, and welcome. )wav(

You will soon get to know if your girls are feeling off colour, but I have a young girl who started laying well then gave up. She is hale and hearty and I am hopeful she will start again one day. As long as she is happy it's fine with me. :-D
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Hi and welcome :-D

Excellent advice above. It is not unusual for them to stop for a few days, sometimes longer. It could be that she is starting to moult, this will often stop them laying. But more likely, she is still getting into the swing of laying and will start again soon. And as Lisa has said, check elsewhere for eggs, especially if they free range in the garden - we've had eggs in very bizarre places )t'

Just keep a close eye on her for any signs of illness, tail down, head disappearing into her neck etc.
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Thanks everyone for your replies, it's very reassuring to know it's not unusual and nothing to worry about. Hopefully she'll get back into the swing of things again shortly >ch<
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx