Milk?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Pingu
Longlasting Laner

Milk?

Post by Pingu »

Hi there,

Just a quick question - is it okay for chickens to have a little milk to drink?

Thanks.
Animals are my life.

jackian
Legendary Laner

Re: Milk?

Post by jackian »

I have read on here that milk is not good and don't give it to my girls...but for the life of me can't remember why! }hairout{
I am sure some one will be a long with the answer and enlighten both of us. {rofwl}
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

jackian wrote:I have read on here that milk is not good and don't give it to my girls...but for the life of me can't remember why! }hairout{
I am sure some one will be a long with the answer and enlighten both of us. {rofwl}

Ditto me, but I can offer no enlightenment..... I will await a wise one {rofwl}
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

chicks&cats wrote:
jackian wrote:I have read on here that milk is not good and don't give it to my girls...but for the life of me can't remember why! }hairout{

Ditto me, but I can offer no enlightenment..... I will await a wise one {rofwl}

me too {rofwl}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
perchy

Post by perchy »

No milk for hens )t'

No idea why
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

Perchy, I was getting ready to bow and had the icon ready )b(

{rofwl}
perchy

Post by perchy »

chicks&cats wrote:Perchy, I was getting ready to bow and had the icon ready )b(

{rofwl}

{rofwl}
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

its about being unable to digest the lactose and it also gives them diahhorea yike* other than that i cant remember :oops:
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Probably something to do with the enzymes required to digest milk... or indeed the lack of them. Not a foodstuff that chooks have evolved to exploit in the wild so they wouldn’t have acquired the ability to digest it. As mammals we are born able to digest milk, it’s part of our survival strategy; many people from cultures where milk has been exploited for tens of thousands of year retain the ability into adulthood whereas those from cultures that haven’t tend not to. Anyway a bit off topic but that is most likely why.
Bah Humbug
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

No dairy I was told
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Pingu
Longlasting Laner

Post by Pingu »

Ah, okay I won't give them any. Thought it may be good for calcium but expect oyster shell would be better?
Animals are my life.
perchy

Post by perchy »

saint-spoon wrote:Probably something to do with the enzymes required to digest milk... or indeed the lack of them. Not a foodstuff that chooks have evolved to exploit in the wild so they wouldn’t have acquired the ability to digest it. As mammals we are born able to digest milk, it’s part of our survival strategy; many people from cultures where milk has been exploited for tens of thousands of year retain the ability into adulthood whereas those from cultures that haven’t tend not to. Anyway a bit off topic but that is most likely why.

That's a no then {hug&kiss}
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

It is of no use to them so why bother? Also classed as an 'animal by-product' so illegal.

(according to my reading at least)

Cheers
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

I'm a bit confused by the 'no dairy'. I get that they can't digest milk but we're encouraged to give them non bio yoghurt to help their insides. Is that not a dairy delated product??
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

KathJ wrote:I'm a bit confused by the 'no dairy'. I get that they can't digest milk but we're encouraged to give them non bio yoghurt to help their insides. Is that not a dairy delated product??

You are correct of course and I imagine the illegality is just because it has been swept up in the general term of animal by-product to stop the feeding of swill, restaurant left-overs etc.

Rules are sometimes made to be broken though, and after any animal has been on broad range antibiotics they may be low on both good bacteria which break down food in the gut as well as, hopefully, clear of the pathogenic or disease causing bad bacteria. Proper pro-biotic yoghurt is just an easy way to help replenish the good bugs. Don't use cheap fruit youghurt - use plain yogurt containing LIVE bifidobacterium, lactobacillus acidophyls and streptococcus thermophillus, and have some yourself too. It is in every supermarket

Alternatively, ask the vet for 'Beryls Friendly Bacteria' distributed by 'The Chicken Vet' - just google that for info. This is bound to better I suppose and can't be expensive as our bill for consultation, AB's and this treatment was only £28.

I am no expert and only repeating what I have read and told by a vet so do you own research of course, Can't say I noticed any difference with our hen but were keen to try anything to help her

Cheers