Fussy Eaters!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Fussy Eaters!

Post by KathJ »

After having some wood left from a job last weekend we decided to make this for the girls which we thought would keep them entertained whilst we were at work. However, it's remained untouched. Although they love the mixed corn they're obviously not fussed about the real thing :? )piicy( Image
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Fussy Eaters!

Post by Annie »

sometimes it takes a while for the penny to drop !
Hens can be suspicious of new things - always think the bogey mans going to jump out on them -give it a couple of days , then the 1st one will have a peck then probably skedaddle, realise its actually quite nice and in 5 mins there will be no corn left.
Good stand by the way )t' .
Maybe put it away overnight otherwise the meeces might find it and they aren't so scared of new things.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

Maybe they think it is too nice to eat )t'
One will try eventually then they will be pushing each other off to get a bite }hairout{
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Crikey - your place looks clean and tidy! Good safety measure with cork on top. That looks like a bit of railway sleeper. If so, it probably stinks of preservative. Just a guess...

Mike
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

Mine took a while to try new things, they love corn now but thats about it,although I was sitting outside the other day eating an apple and one of them jumped up and took a bite out of it :-D
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

Mine won't eat cabbage unless its been in the food processor and mashed into oblivion :?
Neat set up there dude )t'
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Hi Mike, yes it is a railway sleeper but it's well weathered and doesn't smell. We've got a few of them around the garden and the girls are up and down on them all the time when we let them out to FR :-D It's looking tidy because it's just had it's weekly brush out. Wasn't like that 10 minutes later }hairout{
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

mine wont eat apple :oops: unless its peeled sprinkle some mealworms on the new article and watch em investigate as annie says they are very mistrusting of anything new ,fussy little madams great idea by the way
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

My lot have never eaten cob corn, even though we've tried a few times. They gobble it loose and cooked, but refuse the fresh stuff point blank.

That apple, on the other hand, would have lasted seconds in our place. They eat whole apples like starving vultures eat roadkill!
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
Nats
Lively Laner

Post by Nats »

Hi KathJ,

I really like your idea - and was also a bit reassured that my chickens are not the only fussy eaters around! I have been trying to persuade mine to eat kitchen scraps, particularly greens (I live in Uganda where eggs are usually small and have anaemic looking very pale yolks unless the chickens eat "greens" - I don't know if that's the same everywhere).

To everyone else on the thread - thanks for some of the ideas. I did put some bits of pumpkin and avocado out, sprinkled chicken feed (mash) over them and they were devoured. Maybe you could rub some mash over the corn? I like the idea of entertaining them when you're out. I've been trying to make our run more interesting with woodlice infested logs etc. I tried hanging food up but without success.

Anyway, hope they get to enjoy it!

Oh yes, by the way - your run or coop does look lovely and clean and well organised
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

Nats, Im pretty sure I read somewhere that AVOCADO is (surprisingly) a real no-no for hens! I cant remember why, but its definately on the 'do not give to hens' list!

I think a woodlice-infested log sounds absolutely brilliant though +pinn+ )eat(

(I think woodlice are the most disgusting of our insects - and the only ones that I dont feel bad about squashing sile} )
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

pepi wrote:Nats, Im pretty sure I read somewhere that AVOCADO is (surprisingly) a real no-no for hens! I cant remember why, but its definately on the 'do not give to hens' list!

I think a woodlice-infested log sounds absolutely brilliant though +pinn+ )eat(

(I think woodlice are the most disgusting of our insects - and the only ones that I dont feel bad about squashing sile} )

her her pepi regarding the woodlice i squirm with disgust when i see the hens gobbling them from under the plant pots )loo( all those legs squiggling in their crops yike*
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

I thought it'd keep them entertained to peck at as much as anything as they peck at everything else they see but they just don't seem to be interested :? My girls love raw cabbage though and if I leave them one in the morning there's just a stalk left by the time I get home. Maybe I should put a cabbage on the stick instead :-D
Kath xx

Nats
Lively Laner

Post by Nats »

Oh no about the avocado. I did a search online about it and found that apparently the skin and pit contains low levels of toxicity for chickens. It was a small quantity and I definitely won't be giving it to them again. Actually its a good thing you told me because avocados are very common here and cheap (avocado trees everywhere), my kids eat them everyday and I would have assumed they were good for the chickens - so thanks! )t'

I've also tried corn on the cob (a bit of a luxury here) and the more commonly found maize - they loved the left over tinned corn I had but wouldn't eat it off the cob the spoilt things!

They do love pumpkin though and passion fruit seeds (both common cheap fruit - is pumpkin a fruit or a veg? >coc< ), they grow in our garden so I hope they are ok. I did have to cover them in their mash though before they'd go for them. Two of mine were shed reared and had only ever eaten layers mash (and have clipped beaks which affects their pecking ability) so they're not used to new things.

Well, I hope they get to enjoy it soon :-D