Runny poo still, after a week of worming

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Abbilee
Learner Laner

Runny poo still, after a week of worming

Post by Abbilee »

Hello all, Ella had a runny bum so I thought I'd try worming them as I've heard people say this is the first avenue they try.

It's been a week today of flubenvet mixed with pellets but she still has runny poo. What else could this be? Should I worry?
I don't generally worry about my cats loose poo as I have a lot of experience with ill cats from my time at the rescue, but my lack of chicken experience is making me worry I might be missing something.
She looks in great shape, comb is nice and red, she's laying and eating and drinking well.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Mrs B

Re: Runny poo still, after a week of worming

Post by Mrs B »

Has your girl always been loose or is it a recent thing?

If the former then possibly she is just a mucky bum girl. Probably best to get the vet to have a look if you are worried though.

Just a thought do you give many greens as treats as this can make them a little loose.

Sorry I can't help much I'm afraid
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

We have a Bluebelle who's had a runny bum pretty much since we got her last August. Sometimes it's worse than others but she she seems to be happy and healthy. Although I worry about whether she's ok it doesn't seem to bother her apart from having a mucky behind so I wonder if that's just the way she is :? Sorry I can't reassure you anymore xx
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Please dont worry too much if she is healthy otherwise. I rehomed Olive Feb 2nd and she always does runny stinky poo and has a mucky bum. She is fine except for a few softies, nice clean vent but I did take her to the vets who confirmed the only thing she needed was a wash and blow dry
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I was always advised to check the night time poops (if you know where she sits)
if they are perfectly normal there's no need to worry.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Abbilee
Learner Laner

Post by Abbilee »

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm pretty sure they all had normal poo before, but then I think it's unlikely they had much/any green in their diet before and now they're eating grass when they FR.

Kitla - I think it's normal at night, there was some loose stuff in today but I think Ella was in there laying and dropped some loose ones on the way to the nest box!

I feel reassured, I'll just keep an eye on her just in case. If it is the greens, do you think her poo will settle down in time?
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

Due to my recent miracle with Cynthia, I bathed my runny bum hen with an epsom salt bath yesterday and she's a huge amount better today.
Abbilee
Learner Laner

Post by Abbilee »

Hi all,

I'm still slightly worried about the girl's poo. It's hard to tell as I haven't watched all of them poo, but when I let them out to roam, it seems like mostly liquid poo everywhere. The only way I can describe the poo I'm seeing is like a small splash of soggy cereal and milk!
The poo I'm taking out of the nest box is normal though.

The only stuff around that they eat is grass, I don't have any plants or anything else they could be ingesting.

Should I be doing something? They'e fine in themselves, all laying and all eating well, they look really healthy actually.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Hi there!

Have you looked at the poo chart? (very graphic!!)
http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

There's a picture 6th from the bottom that sounds like what you're describing.

Is definitely drinking enough?
Abbilee
Learner Laner

Post by Abbilee »

Thanks for that! There were occasional ceacal poos which I was worried about, but I feel reassured now.

The one you mentioned is basically what the poo looks like, but it's not all the time. The girls all drink loads and regularly, I fill up their 1 litre container every other day. I don't know if they're drinking too much?
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

1 litre doesn't sound very much, did you mean 10 litre :-D I have trouble with my A key keeps sticking)

I have 12 chooks and have two of these drinkers, they seem to use up about one buckets worth a day.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Savic-Hyancinth ... 606&sr=8-1
Abbilee
Learner Laner

Post by Abbilee »

Nope, I did mean 1 litre. They also FR quite a lot and drink water from random containers around the garden too. I only have 3 girls though!
manda

Post by manda »

You could try a little pot of pro-bio yogurt ..will help re-establish the healthy flora in the gut that worming can strip out.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Abbilee
Learner Laner

Post by Abbilee »

Ah, that's a great idea, thanks I'll try that :)