Advice please - transporting chickens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
sarabee
Legendary Laner

Advice please - transporting chickens

Post by sarabee »

Hi everyone

Have been awol from DTL as we are going through some really difficult times which I won't go into. However in the next couple of months we will be upping sticks and moving 5 hours away. Bearing in mind the weather could be hot (well, you never know) has anyone got experience that could help please? I am particularly worried about stopping to give them water and they escape or something. The more I plan now, the better. I am intending to use cat travellers for them.

p.s. sorry about all the lost and poorly hens and happy birthday to all those I have missed but I'm not up to general chat at the mo.
Sara

"Harm no living thing"

Brilliant hubbie, 2 great teenagers, Sasha the elderly dog and Fin, the evil but loveable cat! 3 chickens; Dottie, Gaia, and Buttercup
Night night Rhoda xx

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Advice please - transporting chickens

Post by Annie »

I haven't done a journey of this length Sara so can't speak from experience. Are you transporting in the family car or in a van etc ?
Thinking out loud here I would say, make sure they are let out at home for as long as possible to eat,drink, stretch and poop, this would surely be beneficial to them ahead of the journey. Then simulate as near as possible night time conditions i.e. make the travelling space as dark (but air must circulate)as possible , to lull them into a sense of it being night as after all they only sleep and poop then.
Take pegs for your noses as it could get very whiffy I should think.
Someone with more practical experience may come along and trash all of that {rofwl}
Really hope the move brings, peace happiness and contentment back into your lives.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

Sorry to hear you have been going through difficult times and I hope things start to improve for you {hug}
All I can say is I transported my chooks for 90 mintues and the smell was not good :oops: Wish you could teach them to cross their legs..... I would ditto what Annie said re making it like night for them as they should settle themselves down.
Good luck.
sarabee
Legendary Laner

Post by sarabee »

Thanks both. We can live with the whiff as long as they are ok. It's a great point about stimulating night conditions so we could set off late afternoon rather than early morning. They will be in hub's car. I'll be following with the cat and dog!
Sara

"Harm no living thing"

Brilliant hubbie, 2 great teenagers, Sasha the elderly dog and Fin, the evil but loveable cat! 3 chickens; Dottie, Gaia, and Buttercup
Night night Rhoda xx
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Hi Sara

Will they be in separate cat carriers or all in one together?

If you have room in the carrier, you could stop mid way and give them a bowl of water to drink from and opening the car doors will give them some fresh air and a rest from the motion of the moving car for a few minutes. You could give them some melon or grapes during the journey as this will help with hydration too.

Although after 5 hours in a car with three chooks I would imagine he'll be in more need of fresh air than they will )grin2(

Keep a window open to stop them getting too hot and they'll be fine.

Hope your new home brings you everything you wish for {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Sorry to hear you've been having a hard time Sara, here's hoping your new home will bring happier times {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Three and a half hours is the longest trip we've done and they were fine. We used a cardboard box with plenty of air holes round the top, with the flaps over the top they settled in fine for the trip.
We had the windows open a bit to allow airflow and had the air con on.
For water you could try this for an idea. Cable tie one of these to the inside with a bit of a flap above it so you can top it up if needed.
Cut down like this.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Hintza
Lively Laner

Post by Hintza »

Personally I would give them nothing, but as has been suggested leave it until late in the day and make the boxes dark and allow plenty of circulation. They will be fine for 5 hours and messing with them can only cause trouble. I wouldn't even look at them again during the journey as you will just be tempted to mess them around.
3 Speckeldy, 2 Speckeldy boys, 2 Speckeldy Offspring girls, 6 White Stars, 1 Cream Legbar. 2 Cuckoo Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans (The Delinquent:- BOY!!), 1 Barnevelder, 6 Hyline, 2 Minorca.
junemackenzie
Lively Laner

Post by junemackenzie »

I hope you find happier times in your new home. {hug} I want to transport my four girls from northern France to UK soon so your thread is very ineresting to me. Good Luck :-D Please let us know how you get on.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Oh Sara so sorry you are having a difficult time {hug} I cannot really help with your question but I am sure you will manage well with the other's advice. I am sending you lots of {hug} as I can testify first hand what a lovely lady you are )t'
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

my banties had a 3 hour journey and a rabbit water bottle for the journey and were one to a box with air con and windows open and twilight journey ,marilyn had a 4 hr journey and lisa taped a plastic beaker with pellet porridge in and she had eaten alot good idea really as the water helped keep her hydrated ,all were fine on arrival and all twilight journeys and arriving in the dark plenty to drink at the destination and they were ready for bed ,hope happier times are ahead for you sarahbee good luck in your new home {hug} {hug}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
sarabee
Legendary Laner

Post by sarabee »

Thanks everyone
Sara

"Harm no living thing"

Night night Rhoda xx