DTL link on my website - what do you think?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

DTL link on my website - what do you think?

Post by Wellington Boot »

Right, after a lot of huffing and puffing, and help from my DH, I have finally managed to get a more professional looking link to DTL on my website. I've also included lots of text link to different pages (wing clipping and foxes, and possibly some others) as well as a text link to the forum.

I'd really like to know what you all think (good or bad - I can take it!) :-D

http://wellingtonbootfarm.co.uk/Chicken_Keeping.php

I've also added some links to the BHWT and there's a line of text at the bottom of my chickens for sale page, encouraging people to consider a rescue hen, before buying. If you think I should add any other links (I have a list of sanctuaries, and hen rescue places, but I could do with narrowing it down, or it will be too much information!) please let me know which ones would be best!

Thank you Thank You Thank You!
For everything! You lovely laners!

Nikki
[center]Wellington Boot Garden Farm is now open for business.
Search for us on Facebook, or check out the website at www.wellingtonbootfarm.co.uk
[/center]

grandmaeileen
Longlasting Laner

Re: DTL link on my website - what do you think?

Post by grandmaeileen »

Enjoyed your site, think it covers all the basics quite well and the photos are lovely.
Mother of two, stepmum to two, all grown up and flown the nest. Grandma to Lucy, who's 12 and is my best friend. Two dogs, 6 Gingernut Rangers, and one lovely hubby!

R.I.P. Queenie, Missy,little hen and Edna
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

grandmaeileen wrote:Enjoyed your site, think it covers all the basics quite well and the photos are lovely.

Awww thank you! That's really nice to hear! :-D
Search for us on Facebook, or check out the website at www.wellingtonbootfarm.co.uk
[/center]
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I have just had a quick look at your site Nikki, so well presented, and informative, with all the info one could ask for.
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

I liked it professional and easy to navigate too which is important for people I rescue from freshstartforhens and volunteer for them so I would like to see them mentioned obviously but I understand how difficult it is to have every one on there but we do work very hard as do all of them )t' quite a few of us on here are volunteers aswell )t'
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes echo the other good comments. You really are growing your business.

One quibble.

I was confused about the page with the DTL header. Was the content from DTL, or your own words. The way it says "welcome to ..." makes it look as if you are on a page of DTL.

It would be good to have captions on the pictures when you click on them. Are all the pictures yours? I think I've seen the wing clipping diagram on Omlet (in fact I've linked to it from here) - I suspect there could be copyright issues about using it without attribution (or maybe you have their permission).
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

I really love the look of the website, it's coming along great :-D

I have to agree with Mo about the DTL banner though, I think it would be best if it was the same size as the BHWT Logo and went underneath/above that.

If you don't have permission to use the feather clipping diagram I can always redraw one for you and make it a bit different so you don't have any trouble x
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Its looking good )t' Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone. The DTL banner is a bit make-do-and-mend, and it's pinched straight from here, with a snipping tool that my DH found for me. I can easilly swap it though - if anyone has a better one? I want DTL to be really prominent, because there is so much more info and support on here than I could ever hope to give, and also I can tell people how I do things, and my own opinions, but I think it's important that people have a balance - if that makes sense? Also, I wouldn't have done it at all without Richard and you DTLers, so I'm really keen to repay the favour. If I haven't said it recently, you guys rock! )t'

I'm not sure if it's OK to use the diagram or not, but I can easily swap it if it's a problem. I've got permission to use pictures of Omlet products (I have a trade account with them, so I need pictures to advertise) but I'm not sure if this extends to other pictures. I'll drop them an email, and double check.

Most of the words and pictures are mine, apart from a couple of Omlet's pics, to show off products.

Thanks again everyone.
Nikki
[/center]
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Maybe you could move the DTL link down a bit and give it a heading like "Where I found a lot of info"
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

I thought the info was really informative and love the fact you mention that there is lots of poo (wish I had been warned of that!) Well done )t'
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Good site. )t'
Might be a good idea to PM Richard about the use of his heading though, he's the best one to advise about links )t'
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Does anyone else find that the pictures are a bit slow to load, or is it just my computer?
The text loads fine, so it's not really a problem (I get lots of squares with the word 'loading' in)
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

jannie wrote:Good site. )t'
Might be a good idea to PM Richard about the use of his heading though, he's the best one to advise about links )t'

I PM'd him weeks ago, to ask permission. I think he's going to send me a better picture when he gets a second.

Mo wrote:Does anyone else find that the pictures are a bit slow to load, or is it just my computer?
The text loads fine, so it's not really a problem (I get lots of squares with the word 'loading' in)

It's not just you Mo, they need to be shrunken down a bit to make them load quicker, as soon as I work out how to do it! >dum<

Thanks again everyone!
Nx
[/center]