Chickens and Veg Patch just don't mix

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
GailC
Lively Laner

Chickens and Veg Patch just don't mix

Post by GailC »

We had to make the decision yesterday to give up on our little vegetable patch in favour of our 3 lovely girls. It's a shame because I really enjoy growing my own produce but the chickens were constantly flying into the plot and eating everything and generally being chickens. It was causing too much stress having to keep a constant eye on them }hairout{

I just wondered how other chicken keepers and gardeners kep their veg patch chicken-proof? Is it possible to keep free ranging chickens in close proximity to a veg patch and have the best of both worlds, or am I just being naive?

urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Re: Chickens and Veg Patch just don't mix

Post by urbanchicks »

Why don't you use some netting, wire or Omlet type to fence it off ,with a gate so you can tend to your veggies? I think the gardeners on here can be more specific :-D

Maggie
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

I have struggled with this over the last couple of years. Last year we decided to build a run to keep the chooks in during the growing season, but I didn't like seeing them fastened in. So this year we have covered the veg patches instead, it means the garden looks a bit more untidy, but hey ho it's my garden if visitors don't like it they can stay away.
[center][/center]Davina
grandmaeileen
Longlasting Laner

Post by grandmaeileen »

Our hens are on our allotment, they do have a large and secure run that they are locked into at night. When we are there, they have an area of their own to scratch around in. Although we have put up a barrier, one in particular has discovered that she can fly up to the barrier and although she hasn't jumped down into the veg part it'll not be long!

Spent ages today just watching them dust bath, what a carry on! Four hens rolling around in dry dirt and then falling asleep, I was supposed to be helping screen the cabbages against the pesky cabbage white but the hens were far more entertaining!
Mother of two, stepmum to two, all grown up and flown the nest. Grandma to Lucy, who's 12 and is my best friend. Two dogs, 6 Gingernut Rangers, and one lovely hubby!

R.I.P. Queenie, Missy,little hen and Edna
GingerSi
Lively Laner

Post by GingerSi »

The girls are in a secure run. There is plenty of space for them, perches etc it almost means Mr fox could never get them. I could never give up my veggie patch and if honest my girls both give me a lot of relaxation.
Kazgaz
Learner Laner

Post by Kazgaz »

Garden netting works for us, just with a basic frame of wooden stick or even bamboo poles. We 'fenced' off the fruit bushes last weekend, my OH securing the net while I tried to stop a very determined Flo from diving in behind it (the other three were quite happily dust bathing and enjoying the sunshine). I had to pick her up in the end and she just sat there looking at me all innocent and 'cooing' +f+ - it didn't work though - I still didn't let her behind the netting!

We grew all our veg under netting, and the girls benefitted in the end as we grew too much as usual.
Kaz
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Chickens any anything with a green leaf don't mix in our garden at the moment. Last weekend we bought two half standard roses (which cost a fortune :? ) thinking that the girls wouldn't be able to reach them. That was before Roxy decided to go into training for the Chicken Olympics high jump event >dum< She's funny to watch but it's also annoying. We now need to devise some sort of chicken proof deterrent. Lucky the other three don't seem to be able to jump that high, they just stand underneath waiting for the spoils! Chickens eh, got to love em :-D
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
boosmummy
Longlasting Laner

Post by boosmummy »

my veg patches are covered using garden canes stuck into hosepipe to create a loop then netting pinned down onto the sides of the beds. This keep them out grand. Today however, i thought they were being quiet in the greenhouse and they've eaten an entire tray of purple brussel sprouts that my dad put in there uncovered - he's not going to be pleased!!
photos of allotment & other nice things: http://pinterest.com/girlontheplot/

Follow my blog:
http://girlontheplot.blogspot.co.uk/

Just make sure my think works are wound extra tight, and I will formulate a plan!
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

Mine are happy in their large run and don't FR. They have plenty of room, I wouldn't give up my veg patch I would just net it off if they weren't in the Walk-in-Run all day. I don't feel guilty - they have plenty of room.
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

Large walk in run. My girls ate an entire lawn and anything else green they could find, including crashing about in the greenhouse, the first year.
Besides which, my old girls would pooter about the garden but the youngans would be off over the fence. :-D
Lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
beulah59
Longlasting Laner

Post by beulah59 »

I net our veg patches against the cats anyway ... we don't free range any more, but when we did, I fenced in the veg patches and it worked most of the time.
GailC
Lively Laner

Post by GailC »

Thanks to all for your replies. We did have a fence around the patch but they kept flying over it. We'll leave the veg to the chickens this summer but will try to make a higher fence later on in the year for the winter veg. They may have won the battle for now but they havent won the war :-D