How did the Fox get into your Chickens?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
sarabee
Legendary Laner

Re: How did the Fox get into your Chickens?

Post by sarabee »

that's awful K66yla, I hope he makes a good recovery {hug}
Sara

"Harm no living thing"

Brilliant hubbie, 2 great teenagers, Sasha the elderly dog and Fin, the evil but loveable cat! 3 chickens; Dottie, Gaia, and Buttercup
Night night Rhoda xx

k66yla
Lively Laner

Post by k66yla »

Dad did'nt make it.....he held on for 13 days but his injuries were too severe.
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

I'm so so sorry you lost your Dad, how heartbreaking for you {hug} {hug}
LYN
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

K66yla I am so sorry to hear about your dad, please accept my sincere condolences. This must be a very difficult time for you {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
sarabee
Legendary Laner

Post by sarabee »

I'm so sorry for you and your family - hopefully the raw grief will ease and you will all be able to look back on some happy memories - he will be with you in spirit. {hug}
Sara

"Harm no living thing"

Brilliant hubbie, 2 great teenagers, Sasha the elderly dog and Fin, the evil but loveable cat! 3 chickens; Dottie, Gaia, and Buttercup
Night night Rhoda xx
wendio
Lively Laner

Post by wendio »

Hi

Early one morning we had a visit and themla and louise were killed. 2 foxes dug through hardcore in ground, down approx 2 foot at least. They must of been there ages. We didnt hear them, no even the dog! Gutted. That was last may time, and have now made improvements and are going to replace next month. They even returned the night after and dug another hole to see if id left them in the run. {mr.angry}

Wendy
Keeper of Chickens, Lover of Firefighters, mother of two.[/color]
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

how awful im never amazed by their need to keep going back for more they can be so relentless and in so sorry the little girls were victims to him {cry}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
beulah59
Longlasting Laner

Post by beulah59 »

We've had hens on one site (fixed run) for over three years, so decided to give the ground a break and move them across the garden. The run was simply fenced, but I was content providing they were shut into the coop (a Cube) at night ... and one night we forgot. Simple. {cry}

So it's back to the static run, completely new woodchip and hand me down hens (doing someone a favour and free hens ... ) Need a rethink on a few things (not least because some of the hand me downs are bantams) and might have to build a new, portable run, but I'm not much of a handyman. I wish they'd let me do carpentry at school!
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

Post by Wellington Boot »

we've had 2 attacks this week, the first was human error, as they hadn't been shut up properly at night, and then once he'd tasted blood, he was back for more.

The next attack was more annoying, as we were on our guard. But it seems that the fox managed to open one of the bolts at the back of the run (I had put extra catches on the main door, but the fox was very rude, and went round the back!) The pop hole is a bit lose, and had been left open a crack for ventilation, but it seems that once fox had got into the run, it wasn't hard for him to get his paws into the crack and slide it open. All the hens were cornered.

At least with the first attack some were able to escape - but they were so carefully shut in the second time, that they had no where to run.
[center]Wellington Boot Garden Farm is now open for business.
Search for us on Facebook, or check out the website at www.wellingtonbootfarm.co.uk
[/center]
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

{cry} {hug}
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

{hug} so sorry wellington boot xx
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

Good grief, I am so sorry you lost your girls! {hug}
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

So sorry you must be so shocked and heartbroken to loose your girls, and you had been extra vigilant too {hug} {hug}

R.I.P. Little feathered Angels over The Rainbow Bridge {hug} {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sapphire
Learner Laner

Post by sapphire »

>ch< >ch< Hi I have a family of foxes living very close by, I was worried they might come after my girls. I mentioned it to someone who has chickens they suggested if I had a dog to pick up after my dog had been to the toilet in a plastic bag and place the bags in plant pots or containers with no lids on around the garden near but not to close to the girls. The smell of dogs put them off coming too close. I tried it & so far it has worked, it's been 6 years since I started to do this,& touch wood no losses, it's just a idea, sapphire