Chick questions!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
LisaB

Chick questions!

Post by LisaB »

Hi )wav(

Just wondering, as the chicks are destroying our grass {warn} am I okay to just put their run on concrete with some compost on the floor?
I just worry about them as they don't seem to know what they should and shouldn't eat, the other day I accidentally left a few sheets of newspaper in their cardboard box and they chose to eat that instead of the grass! I know they're going to scoff the compost, will this make them poorly?
If there anything else I could use? (wont be ordering woodchip until next month).

They keep trying to dust bath in the grass, I would like to put a tub of sand in there for them but when they had sand in their brooder they never stopped eating it and were literally just pooing out sand all day for days.

Any help would be much appreciated! :-D

manda

Re: Chick questions!

Post by manda »

I think they would trough the compost by the sounds of it... I wonder if you get hold of some large wood chip then it might be enough to stop them eating it.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

manda wrote:I think they would trough the compost by the sounds of it... I wonder if you get hold of some large wood chip then it might be enough to stop them eating it.

Thanks Manda, I will be getting some wood chips but the run needs clearing first which is going to take a week or two.
I'll try them just on concrete at the moment with some chopped grass until i can get some wood chips.

Do you know why my chicks dont seem to know the difference between what's edible and what's not? I thought they'd just have the instinct the older chickens do.
manda

Post by manda »

Some do some don't ...to be honest most of mine learn from their mums but that still doesn't mean they don't eat what they shouldn't
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Will they eat too much chopped grass, Manda?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Ahh okay, but will they learn eventually?

Hopefully they wont eat too much chopped grass, seeing as they've been on the grass everyday - funny as I rarely see them actually pecking at the grass, just tearing it up, if I put a sheet of newspaper in there though it'd be shredded and eaten straight away.

Just need something to put over the concrete for them to scratch in and make poop picking easier.
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

It might just be boredom Lisa, they like to have something to constantly peck and scratch at and may not be eating it.
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

Have you got a couple of small cardboard boxes in your chicks' run, they love to play hide in the box and it keeps them occupied wonderfully.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

What can I do to keep them occupied?
In the run they have two card board boxes they like to run like loonies around, they have a cheap wooden shoe rack for perching on, even put a ping pong ball in for them in case they wanted to play football :oops:
I also chuck mealworms down for them a few times a day.

They do definitely eat the newspaper, a few times they've gobbled it down before i've had chance to take it off them, other times i've pulled a big piece from their beak which was too big to swallow, with a long bit on the end going down their throat :( I only use news paper in the boxes to carry them downstairs now, just forgot to take the newspaper out before putting it in the run the other day.

It's lovely outside and I need to put them out in the run but not sure what I can put on the floor for them?
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

Post by Wellington Boot »

No idea about the original question, but my chicks eat alsorts too. I have used very thick wood shavings (it's like bits of matchsticks) and that seems to work, but they still pick at any of the smaller bits. They are just daft!
[center]Wellington Boot Garden Farm is now open for business.
Search for us on Facebook, or check out the website at www.wellingtonbootfarm.co.uk
[/center]
manda

Post by manda »

Mo wrote:Will they eat too much chopped grass, Manda?

Oops..sorry missed this...

Personally I wouldn't put large amounts of anything in with them because if it's there they will get into trouble...nature of chicks really :-D

Logs or a bit of brick or something down then move it so they get bugs from underneath it
toss some chick crumb about so they have to munge about to get it...

Stick a flock block in the run ....you can make one.

Flock Block Substitutes

RECIPE 1
2 cups starter/grower, grower/finisher, flock raiser or layer crumbles
2 cups scratch
1 cup egg
3 eggs, beaten well & shells, finely crushed
4 cups oatmeal
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup cracked corn
3/4 cup wheat germ
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup petals (I usually stick dandelion or Marigold in)
2 finely diced apples
1 cup applesauce
2 cups molasses
3 cups water
1/2 cup melted coconut oil (or any oil)

Preheat oven to 300°F. Grease oans well and then put the mix into whatever you can fit them into in whatever combo...this amount will fit into 2 8x8 tins but it doesn't matter what size you use or you halve the amount and put into a loaf tin...and adjust the time cooking.

Mix all dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, mix all wet ingredients together. Add wet to dry ingredients, mix well.
The mixture should hold together when squeezed without being squishy or oozing liquid. (If yours does not hold together, wet a few pieces of bread with water, squeeze out excess water and tear into small pieces. Add to mixture, combine well.)
Pour mixture into prepared pans and press down firmly, packing very well.
If you’re wanting to hang it up then now is the time to make a small hole in the top
Bake for 2 hours.
Leave blocks in the oven and turn the oven off. Allow to cool inside the oven several hours.
Remove when pans are cool.
If it breaks or fails to hold together, don't worry just pop it in a container and they will go for it anyway.

RECIPE 2

2 Cups Oatmeal
2 Cups Nut And Fruit Seed
1 Cup Scratch Feed
1 Cup Molasses
3 Eggs

Bake for 40 minutes (this amount will fit in a loaf tin)..then leave to cool

Recipe 3
2 cups of oatmeal
1 handful of dried cranberries
1 cup of mild molasses
3 eggs (shells included)
1 handful of chicken scratch
1 handful of layer feed

Bake 40 minutes (this is another one that fits in a loaf tin).....and leave to cool.

Just had a look around Simon of Wells Poultry (link is on the right hand side of the page) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> has peck blocks which are the same thing if you don't want to faff about making your own )t'

Apples, cabbages etc same as grown chooks.

Just had a thought....never done it but you could always add a bit of seaweed to that mix as well.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

manda - what is scratch feed? I've never heard of it :oops:
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

Wellington Boot wrote:No idea about the original question, but my chicks eat alsorts too. I have used very thick wood shavings (it's like bits of matchsticks) and that seems to work, but they still pick at any of the smaller bits. They are just daft!

{rofwl} {rofwl}
yes my chicks ate everything too I had them out on grass from approx. 5 weeks under cover and supervision of course and they have survived but are still daft :):) but very entertaining and adorable
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Thanks for those recipes Manda )t' iv been trying to find that thread with some on to make for when our run is finished to placate the girls when we fasten them in. {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

Linda S wrote:Thanks for those recipes Manda )t' iv been trying to find that thread with some on to make for when our run is finished to placate the girls when we fasten them in. {hug} Lindaxx

don't forget me +f+ Aunty Linda )wav(

only kidding linda they are fab aren't they ,im gonna have a crack at these when as you say we have to fasten the girls in especially on the bad winter cold rain days ,
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx