how long ?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
mell
Lively Laner

how long ?

Post by mell »

we have had our point of lay hens for a week now bless them,
how long roughly until they are settled and start laying do you think ?
thanks )t'
new mad chicken woman joining you guys. hello to you all,this sites a great help so i thought id join up.mellx

MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Re: how long ?

Post by MissEllie »

It can vary quite a bit, my first 2 point of lay hens took 6 weeks before they started but I think they were probably younger than the breeder said so don't worry too much.
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Sandra M
Lively Laner

Post by Sandra M »

How old are they? They are called point of lay from 16 weeks when they go onto layers pellets so could be a few weeks.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

What do their combs look like? Are they pink and tiny? Then they are more than 4 weeks away from laying. Starting to get bigger? 4 weeks or less. Almost as big as laying hens? Any day now.
Some of us have noticed that hens that are coming up to laying may crouch when you come near (as if you were the rooster).
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
mell
Lively Laner

Post by mell »

they are 17 weeks now and starting to crouch when i stroke them now and again,
combs are starting to colour up a bit now )t'
new mad chicken woman joining you guys. hello to you all,this sites a great help so i thought id join up.mellx
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

I think the size and redness of the Comb, combined with whether they 'crouch' is the best indicator of a laying hen! Hope they start laying soon - nothing like the excitement of that first egg :-D