help please advice needed !!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
mell
Lively Laner

help please advice needed !!

Post by mell »

just seen that someone near me neads a home for a lonely hen who is a year and a half old as her friend has died!!
i heve just got 4 point of lay hens,can i put her with my girls or would this cause a problem?
new mad chicken woman joining you guys. hello to you all,this sites a great help so i thought id join up.mellx

Sandra M
Lively Laner

Re: help please advice needed !!

Post by Sandra M »

I would get her in the evening put her in the coop when they go to bed then see how they are in the morning if its just a little bullying i would leave her in but if they get nasty then i would split the run and put 1 of your hens in with her for a week but put them all in the coop at night then mix them all back in together in a week and see how it goes.
4c lady
Legendary Laner

Post by 4c lady »

Best to keep her separate by fencing off a section of the run so they can all see each other without touching. I always put them in together at nights but separate again the next morning until they get used to each other. This works successfully for me although Ive just added 6 ex batts and they had ideas of their own and the temporary fencing lasted all of 15 mins but I kept trying but thankfully my oldies are so laid back that the ex batts just came in and took over. I use just builders plastic fencing the orange stuff you see on building sites or even fruit netting will do you. It always best to add more than one as the one will get picking on. I hope all goes well for you all.
mell
Lively Laner

Post by mell »

ok thanks everyone xx
new mad chicken woman joining you guys. hello to you all,this sites a great help so i thought id join up.mellx