Lost Charlie 2 today

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Lost Charlie 2 today

Post by Teasal »

My remaining RIR cockerel started to look a bit wobbly last week. He was still eating ok, and then seemed to improve. Went downhill overnight, and when I got in from work had passed away.

Not sure what to do now - I do like a cockerel with my hens, but having the two Charlies meant that the two Pekin bantam boys had to stay penned up, as does Eddie the Silkie, due to the risk of fighting. This now means that the Pekin boys could free range, but quite frankly, they are not big enough for the hens!!

After having a bad experience with cockerels, twice - both Marans I had bred myself, and they were both nasty, it left me very nervous of cockerels, but the RIR's were both lovely, and never thought about attacking me. So if I have another cockerel, not fussy what breed, but it would have to be a quiet one.

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

That's sad news. You do become attached don't you.

It's a tough one as to if you should get another cockerel. Maybe leave it a few weeks and see what happens. There will probably be unrest amongst the Hens for a few days and they may not lay etc. All to do with adapting situations.

Is it true that if you have two Cockerels, only one of them crows ?

Bantams and Chickens usually mix OK. I've been to peoples Houses where they've had allsorts walking around together, especially when 'free ranging'. Being shut in together may be different ?

Chin up. Have your Christmas and New Year Celebrations and see how the land lays afterwards.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
TPFringe
Lively Laner

Post by TPFringe »

Aww - so sorry to hear about Charlie......

Thoughts are with you.

x
3 Chinese Cresteds, 1 Chorkie, 4 cats, 2 ex-batts, 1 Columbian Blacktail, 2 Silver Seabright, 1 Lavendar Pekin, 1 Cuckoo Pekin, 1 Millifleur-ish Pekin, 1 buff frizzle Pekin, 5 Italian quail.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

What a shame - so sad. Sorry Teasel. +cry+

How about 'testing' the two bantams and see how they go? confused>
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Sorry to read about Charlie, 2 years is a long time and you get attached to them :?
julie2
Legendary Laner

Post by julie2 »

So sorry to hear about charlie, teasal. Not easy is it. :?
chickens rock!!!
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Sorry to hear about Charlie

Stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Post by Teasal »

Richard, re having two cockerels and only one crowing - the two Charlies were in the same shed, and both definitely crowed, as did the two Pekins, silkie and the young bantam cockerel has just started too!!! I think the neighbours next to my field may be relieved there are two less cockerels making their racket in the morning!!! I have had the silkie cockerel and the two Pekins in a dark shed at night, but they still crow plenty!!! I think one starts and the others answer.

No one near me keeps hens - surprising really as we are out in the country. The nearest cockerel is in the village, and sometimes he will crow and mine will crow back, during the day.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

SO sad when you lose one, thoughts are with you
battychick_kike
Legendary Laner

Post by battychick_kike »

Hi Teasal, Im sorry to hear of your loss, big (((((hugs))))) for you.

Taz

xxxx
[center]Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start.....[/center]

www.freshstartforhens.co.uk