Bye Bye Elizabeth ;(

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Bye Bye Elizabeth ;(

Post by Skeksis »

Just made an appointment to take Elizabeth on her final journey tonight. She's been ill for a while on and off but always got better but has gone downhill and is now ready to go, bless her. She has a really big tumour that has just got the better of her and she's no longer enjoying life so time to let her go. {cry}

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Bye Bye Elizabeth ;(

Post by kitla »

So sorry Skeksis, is Elizabeth your exbat?
I've just lost one of my girls so I'm sharing your {cry}
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
manda

Post by manda »

So sorry to hear this...but good call ..it's all about quality isn't it {hug}
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

So sorry, you know its the right decision but it dosent make it any easier really does it {hug}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

Yes it was my little exbat. I am really sad, that's my last exbat gone now {cry} So sorry Kitla that you lost your lovely little girl too, and on the same day. It's horrible to let them go but we can't let them suffer can we.
{hug}
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

She had a happy last few days, she got lots of naughty food that I NEVER feed my hens and today I went out especially and bought her a tin of spaghetti in tomato sauce (her last Hurrah) which I knew she would adore even though I have a rule never to feed my hens any rubbish like that (even I don't buy anything like that for us), she is happily tucking in with her old gusto, so at least I know her last few hours are happy and she's stonked up on Metacam so no pain now.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aw bless her {hug} I did the same with my siamese, he had salty turkey which he loved and cream. Thinking of you and Elizabeth x
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

I feel so distraught. The vet made a hash of putting her down and it was horrible and painful although still fairly quick, i almost wish I had let her go to sleep at home ;(
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

So sorry that Elizabeth's end wasn't what you had hoped for, but her last few hours must have been filled with lovely things.
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

Aw, so sorry.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Skeksis wrote:I feel so distraught. The vet made a hash of putting her down and it was horrible and painful although still fairly quick, i almost wish I had let her go to sleep at home ;(

oh dear, I'm afraid the same thing happened with Pip, upsetting isn't it! but as you say
quick and better than leaving them to suffer. With Pebbles, because she was in so
much pain she was given gas then the jab while unconscious, it was very calm and
gentle, I think I would ask for that another time.
Don't dwell on it, you saved her from her terrible fate & gave her a lovely life, lucky
little hen.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
AnnieG
Lively Laner

Post by AnnieG »

Such a sad thread. :(
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

Thank you folks, especially you Kitla for your kind words. I think in future I will ask for gas too as it sounds much kinder. xx. Poor little Pip and Elizabeth
Aspasia
Lively Laner

Post by Aspasia »

Oh Skeksis, how sad for you both! At least you know that you did the very best for her that you could.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Sorry to Skeksis and everyone else who's lost a girl recently or had to let them go. We had a similar experience with our much loved cat - the vet was so wound up on our behalf that he was all fingers and thumbs and I could have thumped him, but really it is better than a lingering end. A nice few treats and then a quick departure sounds like a decent way to go.