Help please, duck limping

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
davina112
Legendary Laner

Help please, duck limping

Post by davina112 »

Can anyone offer advice, my call drake was found limping badly this morning. He isn't standing on the effected leg and isn't using it when swimming. From a distance it looks like the knuckle joint is either swollen or displaced.
Thanks
[center][/center]Davina

perchy

Re: Help please, duck limping

Post by perchy »

Oh dear Davina I really don't know anything about ducks, I did have a limping hen, she use to rest it, I did put arnica cream on but I guess with a duck its different, sorry not much help, hope someone else will be along with some help

{hug}
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Thanks Perchy, I hope someone can help
[center][/center]Davina
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Hi Davina, might help to PM Manda, not sure but I think she has ducks!.
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Hi. I think you need a more definite diagnosis to know what to do next. I used to keep ducks and didn't clip their wings. Two in particular would fly down and land on the concrete yard if they saw us there (if you saw the ducks you had to run swiftly onto a grassed area so they would make a softer landing). Anyway, it all went horribly wrong one day and one duck hurt her foot on the concrete. It was swollen and causing her to limp. Xray showed it to be broken and I was advised to keep her in a very small area to force her to rest it. That didn't work and eventually she had the broken toe amputated. A bit more enforced rest and she made a wonderful recovery. I'm not suggesting that your duck has necessarily broken anything but my vet's first reaction was rest and hope nature did the trick. You could do with knowing exactly what the problem is though. Good luck, its horrible when your friends are injured.
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Thanks for the advice, he seems to be using his leg a bit more in the water, but isn't using it when he stands. I haven't seen him walking so can't say if he is still limping. He does seem to be resting a lot and a bit on the quiet side if you know what I mean. I may try to get him to the vet tomorrow evening, assuming I can catch him. But my worry is that I may make the problem worse by trying to catch him.
[center][/center]Davina