Got a cold?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
mrsc
Lively Laner

Got a cold?

Post by mrsc »

Morning, not been on here for a while just need some advice. One of my older girls, Ava whos 4 seems to have a wheeze. My children say it sounds like she has a cold and her wheeze gets worse if she runs (ie to get a worm!) she's healthy in every other way and looks great, eating and drinking well. Currently been wormed but always keep on top of this anyway. Any ideas?

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Got a cold?

Post by KarenE »

Hi

Could be a respiratory infection, if left untreated it can be very serious and even fatal. Is she also breathing heavy, rattling and perhaps discharging from her nose? My advice would be to get her to the vets as you may need some antibiotics to treat her and the rest (as it can be contagious too). Treatment is quite straightforward - tylan in the water.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
mrsc
Lively Laner

Post by mrsc »

No discharge at all just sounds like she's out of breath. Looks really well in all other aspects
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Is her comb a good colour? If it's purply it could indicate some circulation problems, but it sounds respiratory from what you've said. How long has she been doing this for? I would still be tempted to get her to the vets, she may need a course of tylan and the earlier it's caught the better. Is she gaping while she's breathing, and can you hear any wheezing, crackling or rattling at all? Stick your ear against her back and chest if you can and have a good listen.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

Chickens dont get out of breath they get respiratory infections which can and will spread to your whole flock, and kill. Vets asap.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Skeksis wrote:Chickens dont get out of breath they get respiratory infections which can and will spread to your whole flock, and kill. Vets asap.

Maybe comes across as a tad alarmist.
Not all respiratory infections are neccessarily caught by all in the flock as some may have immunity, others while catching it will recover on their own or with meds and even if untreated, which I don't recommend, there is no certainty that the whole flock will die as a result although the older or weaker may succumb.
Best advice, as stated before is to seek a vets professional opinion )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

Very true Dom - thats what happens when on a phone and no time to type a long answer {warn} , I agree with all you say :) )t'
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Skeksis wrote: thats what happens when on a phone and no time to type a long answer {warn} ,

Productive ticks is a bugler when tipping on ewer mobie foam.
Dom
Ali Woks My World