Bee's in our cavity wall

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Bee's in our cavity wall

Post by Panteg Produce »

We have some Bee's nesting in our cavity wall , the question is should I Issue them with an eviction notice or give them a rent book? They are entering via hole that used to allow access to the loft for an overflow pipe. checked the loft no nest in there just one or two Bee's wandering around . Your views and advice would be appreciated.

:-D
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.

Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Bee's in our cavity wall

Post by Totally Scrambled »

I believe that bees are a protected species which means no pest controller will touch them. I know that no beekeeper will be able to do anything as they are in the wall cavity.
I'm thinking that they may be masonry bees so I don't know if they will cause any damage which might mean that something can be done to get rid of them.
My feeling is that officially the bees existance will trump yours and that they will have more rights etc.
Ant powder or carbon monoxide would do for them but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be legal, although how anyone would find out I'm not sure.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

If they are mortar bees, they are individual solitary bees who make their own burrow and then live in there till they hatch their eggs. I saw on telly that you can put those wooden bee houses up (the ones where they are a collection of hollowed out bamboo canes) which act as an alternative home for them. Doubt that work work on colony bees though as they like to live together, but worth a shot if you have a few masonry bees looking for a home. Given the sad state of bees these days they need all the help they can get. Best time to take action apparently is spring when they are looking for new nesting sites - block up/repoint any mortar they've dug out before the females can start a new burrow (as they are seeking new nesting sites in spring)

The British Pest Control Association says honey bees aren't a protected species so if they are honey bees you may find a pest control organization may take them off for you.

http://www.bpca.org.uk/pages/?page_id=145

And apparently there are swarm collectors who may be able to take the bees away for you! On the British Bee Keeper's Association site:

http://www.bbka.org.uk/help/find_a_swar ... inator.php
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

If you find the right bee keeper, they will have a 'bee Hoover' or something of the description? If they cn access them and they are honey bees then they could save you a problem whilst helping to protect a very important and ever decreasing population of bees. I'm pretty sure I read something recently about how the world would come to an end without bees!!!
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

“If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe, then man would have only four years of life left.
No more bees, no more pollination, no more plants, no more animals, no more man.”
Albert Einstein
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
animartco
Lively Laner

Post by animartco »

I saw a program on the TV just a few days ago, where someone used a hormone to move a swarm from A to B This would be easy to waft into your pipe and bring them all out to be moved elsewhere.
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

They are probably gone by now but are completely harmless and will do no damage. It is also a criminal offence to disturb the nest if they are bumblebees.