no shell on eggs

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
jonnybravo
Lively Laner

no shell on eggs

Post by jonnybravo »

Hi ,Florence my white star has been without feathers from her chest to vent for two or three months now,she has started laying what are eggs with just a soft folded separate shell,(look like an egg that has been cracked and shell put at the side of the liquid)any help with curing this problem would be great, thanks

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: no shell on eggs

Post by KarenE »

Hi Jonny

Has florence laid before, or is she just coming into lay? Or has she been moulting? It sounds like the latter if she is missing feathers. If she is just coming into lay or she is coming into or out of a moult, they can lay strange soft or shell less eggs as their systems get into the swing of things again. Also if they are coming to the end of their laying days.

I wouldn't worry too much about her. Just keep an eye on her to make sure that she doesn't have problems laying a softie (it can make them feel very ill) or that bits of the shell aren't left behind in the vent. If you are having general problems with egg shell quality you can use limestone flour to top up their calcium levels but I think I'd wait a while for that unless you are having soft shells from the others as well. I suspect Florence is getting into or out of the swing of things.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes, my thought was if she's moulted she's just getting back into it.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
jonnybravo
Lively Laner

Post by jonnybravo »

Thanks for replies,she has been in moult now for about 3 months ,(no feathers on her underside,she is 2 years old and has been laying regulary up to the last four weeks.I will just have to keep my eye on her as she is a real caracter
manda

Post by manda »

Has she stopped laying altogether now JB ....no feathers on her underside ..she's not going broody is she?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
jonnybravo
Lively Laner

Post by jonnybravo »

no she lays sometimes every day for a week or so then misses for a week and then lays what are like raw eggs with a separate folded up soft shell.funny things these birds, he he
manda

Post by manda »

If she' getting enough calcium in her diet then it could be she is deficient in Vit D (which helps in the absorption of calcium)...a tablespoon of cod liver oil per KG of feed (so reduce in relation to whatever weight you use) will help up her Vit D levels.....it's either that or she has a dodgy shell glandand isn't producing shells properly....I'd try the Vit D and see if that makes a difference.

The trouble with this is if she has a soft shell break inside her or lay internally then you get bacterial infection (as yolk is the perfect place for bacteria to grow) or Egg Yolk Peritonitis either of which can finish them off.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
jonnybravo
Lively Laner

Post by jonnybravo »

Thanks Manda
I will try the cod liver oil should hate anything to happen to her,thanks again