nestbox choices ..Grrr.

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
jackian
Legendary Laner

nestbox choices ..Grrr.

Post by jackian »

I have a large recycled coup with 2 nest boxes for my 4 girls . For over a year now they will only use one for reasons that I fail to understand. I think it is because they love privacy,which as you know causes a right row when they all want to lay at once .
Two months ago we extended their run again ready for the winter and I have a small plastic dog kennel in there which I use for newbys etc.,
Wouldn't that be a good idea I thought to use as an extra nest box , nice and dark ,small enough ,cosy . . )t' .. Think again ..For two months it has sat there not even a look.
Friday morning one of my old girls Bonny was not to be seen .There she was in the dog kennel nicely settled . No egg as she had already laid that morning so this was a good sign ..Think again .
Saturday morning Bonny goes in there and lays her egg.She was obviously sussing it out on Friday. Then an hour later Bluebell the baby goes in there and lays her egg....Great I thought there is now two egg boxes being used .. think again {rofwl}
Sunday morning A hell of a commotion Blossom bottom chick is in the dog kennel , Bluebell wants to get in there and Bonny is queueing up both crossing their legs.. }hairout{ Blossom gets kicked out and goes in the usual one . Bluebell lays her egg in the dog kennel and Bonny who found the dog kennel in the first place did notlay an egg but was making such a fuss because she had lost her hiding place .
Meanwhile Clover our very old girl and top chick and knows the best thing is to keep out of all this fuss just sat on a log tut tutting at the nonsense .
there is no reason why the coup nest boxes should not be used ..all checked for mites etc ., all cleaned out . The more I observe chickens the more like people they are .
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown

p.penn

Re: nestbox choices ..Grrr.

Post by p.penn »

{rofwl} Sounds typical to me! They of all seem to like laying in the same place. How funny!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
manda

Post by manda »

Now't so queer as hens {rofwl}
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
wendy

Post by wendy »

We always start out with the best laid plans and then the hens arrive.
Typical ladies I am afraid :-D
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I've noticed that they all go to the same place - 2 nest boxes, only one gets used (usually the left hand one) Sometimes they make a nest in the corner of the coop (luckily by the door so I have easy access), and again they all lay there. I think the mentality is that their egg is part of a clutch so whoever starts laying, the others follow and have to lay there too LOL
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Since installing the ladies in their new set up, which is a Keter inside a metal shed, they have all laid:

on top of the stored straw bales
in a grocery delivery box next to the shed door
in the left hand side of the Keter
in a shallow cardboard box on top of the Keter

Every time they pick a new place that isn't a nest box or comfy sleeping area I have to start a new straw/shavings bedding regime.

Current favourite is the right hand side of the Keter

That notion of a clutch of eggs works for me. What I can't suss out is why they swap and change location so often. When my Black Rock was broody (on top of the keter in the cardboard box) they all waited 'til I threw her out for a meal break and then rushed in and laid very quickly.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Snoopy
Learner Laner

Post by Snoopy »

One huge nest box, like a king size bed for hens? Two of my hens like to get into a big box together...