egg-laying, broody or ill? - ignore, all ok!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
ClareM
Lively Laner

egg-laying, broody or ill? - ignore, all ok!

Post by ClareM »

Hi, any advice welcome...! one of my Wyandotte bantams has spent the last couple of hours or so in the nest box. Now I'm not sure how long it takes to lay an egg? or if she's going broody or if she's ill....?? She was pecking around quite happily with the others early & seemed to be eating / drinking etc. I've checked on her a couple of times & she's got off the nest box & spent ages shouting....not sure what's going on so any advice from you experienced chicken-owners out there would be welcome, thanks!

UPDATE: almost as soon as I had posted this I noticed both wyandottes pecking around quite happily, with no shouting or concern, so I just went to check the nestbox in case & sure enough, 2 warm eggs...I clearly need to find a way of telling them apart so I know if it's the same one in the nestbox all the time or if they've swapped (like identical twins...!). At least I know now who is laying, though the eggs are different colours so I'd thought it was one Wyandotte & one barnvelder. Hey ho!

jackian
Legendary Laner

Re: egg-laying, broody or ill? - ignore, all ok!

Post by jackian »

)like( that is great news. Well done those girls .
Don't forget that if you have a problem you can't sort we will do our best to help

Jackie x
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
manda

Post by manda »

Best ending possible :-D )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
jonnybravo
Lively Laner

Post by jonnybravo »

Hi Clare,you can get coloured plastic rings from your pet store that just clip together around the leg,no more wondering!