Odd egg whites?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
tortzblue
Lively Laner

Odd egg whites?

Post by tortzblue »

Hi - My three yr old girl I thought, had stopped laying, but over the last 2 months she has layed 3 eggs. When opened the yolk sits on the edge the watery part but is totally separate from the thick albumen part on the other side. This thicker white part is very opaque and looks almost slightly cooked! I am wondering are they ok to eat? I have googled it but can't find anything. Has anyone seen this before? She seems in good health otherwise.

perchy

Re: Odd egg whites?

Post by perchy »

They do lay some strange things at times, I have a hen whose yolks are very thick and stick to the sides and the whites are watery, I use them and think its just one of those things, I always think if they smell ok they are ok )t'
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Not seen that exactly, but thisDefra guide has a lot about eggs.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
manda

Post by manda »

Sometimes the egg whites can be watery if the egg has got frozen at any time...don't know if that's a possibility.

Older hens have this more often as well which at 3 years old she is now in that category bless her....I'd plump for that especially if she's not been laying much.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny