Buzzard taken Sheila the chicken?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Clucky Carol
Lively Laner

Buzzard taken Sheila the chicken?

Post by Clucky Carol »

We have just two piles of feathers to show for our smallest chicken, who disappeared during the day, and seems to have gone for good. We have had a family of buzzards circling and watching from the trees on Exmoor, and we are wondering if the largest bird has taken the chicken? It seems very rare but I am now worrying about the rest. They do free range, so could be out of cover ... Is it likely to be a buzzard? Has anyone else had this problem? Any help please appreciated.
Hope everyone is wrapped up warm too. Love Clucky xx

silverback
Legendary Laner

Re: Buzzard taken Sheila the chicken?

Post by silverback »

Hi Carol, sorry you lost your chook, I found this article from the RSPB, might be informative.

http://smallholdingtimes.co.uk/buzzards-take-chickens/
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Clucky Carol
Lively Laner

Post by Clucky Carol »

Dear Silverback,
Thank you so much, this was so helpful, I have to sayi thought we were being daft - so very reassuring. Interesting idea that a glitter ball could keep them away .... Exmoor National Park could do with a glitter ball I'm on a mission! Thanks again ... Have a little glimmer that Sheila might wander back, but I'm not very hopeful but they are not having any more! Xxxxx )like(
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

HI , I had a bird of prey fly across my garden chasing a collor dove . So I am concerned as well . Good imfo . read it .
Bob