Blood drawn!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
pegpuss
Lively Laner

Re: Blood drawn!

Post by pegpuss »

fishpond wrote:Putting a roof on is the way to go anyway, but it may not cure the pecking.

I have no doubt you're right. Persuading hubby that having chickens was a good idea came first, persuading him to build an extension to the flat-pack coop and run before the girls arrived came second.....you and I both know what comes third )t'
It was always my plan, I just have to take it one step at a time with himself :-D
Emma

Love my boy Sylvester and his current wives Beatrice, Gladys, Isabella, Juniper, Kitty, Lottie, Maud, Nora, Milly and Prudence. Gone but never forgotten Arabella, Clara, Dolly, Edwina, Florrie and Hilda.

pegpuss
Lively Laner

Post by pegpuss »

silverback wrote:How big is your run?, is it 5 chooks you have?..

It's plenty big enough I think...5 ladies and about 30' long in total with a variable width according to the existing shrubs and bits that dictated the space. Narrowest part is probably about 5' and widest about 7' )t'
Emma

Love my boy Sylvester and his current wives Beatrice, Gladys, Isabella, Juniper, Kitty, Lottie, Maud, Nora, Milly and Prudence. Gone but never forgotten Arabella, Clara, Dolly, Edwina, Florrie and Hilda.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

I have a similar issue, blood drawn, feather pecking etc! }hairout{ , there seems to be a few of us on here with the same problem!.
Have tried anti-pecking spray (don't bother!), and like yourself have cleaned affected area and smothered with sudacreme )t' . What I did notice is that when I applied the cream, my chook went for a dust in the mud, covering the cream with black dirt!, which attracted less attention....So maybe the purple spray may do the trick )t' .
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
debby
Lively Laner

Post by debby »

if thats the case wot about black or blue food dye ????? on the wound would be cheaper !! worth a try ? x
Dave the springer, 2 cats, Boo, Gizmo. 3 ex batts Mopsy, Thelma & louise. bluebell Matha,buff orp Gertie,rode island Kentucy, cream legbear Lola,
oh and the 2 teenagers !!!!!!!

R I P flopsy, miss our cuddles xx
pegpuss
Lively Laner

Post by pegpuss »

Silverback....yes, I have tried anti-peck spray. It did b*gger all on Beatrice but made me gag when I rubbed a hair out of my mouth just after squirting her and still had it on my fingers :oops:
I found the same as you after I originally posted about this....Tuesday was a good day for her, she coated her sudocreme'd derriere in dust and was left alone for a couple of days. I went as far as thinking about dusting her with potting compost in the absense of anything else tonight!
Emma

pegpuss
Lively Laner

Post by pegpuss »

debby wrote:if thats the case wot about black or blue food dye ????? on the wound would be cheaper !! worth a try ? x

Debby..that's what I've tried tonight. Sudocreme first to soothe her sore bits, then black food colouring to disguise it....will report back on progress!
Emma

silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Debby wrote:
if thats the case wot about black or blue food dye ????? on the wound would be cheaper !! worth a try ? x

I agree a lot cheaper, however, if your treating a wound then you need to treat it with an antiseptic, so the purple spray would be the obvious choice.
Having said that, a cheap antiseptic cream and then the food colouring! )t' )t'
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
pegpuss
Lively Laner

Post by pegpuss »

Well....I think I might have an answer! Hubby came home a half hour ago and told me when he nipped back mid afternoon he could hear a lot of fuss going on from the ladies and when he went to investigate , the pop hole had blown shut with them all inside. No wonder they were fed up! Apparantly when he let them back out he noticed Beatrice's bleeding bum but once back outside they all seemed ignore her again so he left it for me to deal with!
Moral of the story...prop the pop hole open in the morning )t'
Emma