tarpaulin

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
birtles
Learner Laner

tarpaulin

Post by birtles »

I have just placed tarpaulin over the run tonight because it said its going to rain all day tomorrow, left area for them to see out etc but just thought that the food needs to be kept dry? and it means they can be out in the run tomorrow without getting too wet. think thats ok? checked all good round circulation etc just cover really.
Am I mad? also put newspaper on floor of ark so can just lift out and compost everyday. keeps the chickens cleaner and ark......dont like the idea of a build up over the week.

AnnaB
Legendary Laner

tarpaulin

Post by AnnaB »

Hi birtles

No you are not mad - just caring. Make sure that if it does rain the tarpaulin doesn't make a water channel into the run....sometimes we have to improvise and do as we think fit.

Best wishes with it
Anna
fussymare
Lively Laner

Post by fussymare »

Yes, forecast here is for rain tomorrow, and one of my rescue girlies has hardly any feathers and therefore isn't waterproof! :( I will have to contain them in the lower storey of the ark, as that will be dry for them. They won't be happy, but that is what will have to happen until her feathers grow back.
melons
Legendary Laner

dry chookies

Post by melons »

I keep my ladies dry too, they hate the rain, big time, one is still fairly bald, & she gets chilly if she gets wet, so over 1/2 their area I've put a 12' x 12' tarp, we made some wooden roof trusses to tie it to & used cable ties to secure it, so they can still play outside & be dry, this is only over 1/2 their area, so "if" it is sunny, then they still get some sunshine too :-D
For the downstairs of the hen house, I brought some perspex to keep the wind out, & keep them & their food dry, works for us :-D Some peoples chickens don't seem to mind the rain, but one of my girls is still frightened of the wind too, it's an individual thing I think, I seem to have jessies :razz:
Cheers
mel x
birtles
Learner Laner

Post by birtles »

Hi tarpaulin seems to work well keeping 3/4 of the run dry etc. Is it usual for the inside of ark/house to be wet in the corners? not in puddles or anything but when cleaning out this morn all the edges of the paper were wet........ is that just because its wood and it will get damp and to be expected? don't really want to put tarpaulin over ark area too incase of ventalation problems........... Im just waiting for my first egg, should happen this week sometime so just keep popping my head in but nothing other than poo :shock:
put some cooked rice out for them this morn, left over from last night, they wern't interested !!! fussy eaters
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

It must have rained hard in Cheshire last night, my arc was damp this morning too.
But they say if you put roofing felt on, it encourages red mite.