I admit I am a wimp!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

I admit I am a wimp!

Post by AnnaB »

Hi birtles

All girls seem to be very attached to garden forks (not spiking them) but digging up a few worms for them. Once they see this they will follow a fork anywhere - honestly.

If you do start digging be careful as they see things before us and could get hurt.

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

If you let them out just before bed time, they will put themselves back.
Or if you feed them twice a day rather than leaving food in the hopper all the time; let them out for a bit before supper, then feed them in the run.
birtles
Learner Laner

Post by birtles »

Mo wrote:If you let them out just before bed time, they will put themselves back.
Or if you feed them twice a day rather than leaving food in the hopper all the time; let them out for a bit before supper, then feed them in the run.

great idea!! may try that over the weekend. I leave the feeder out because when i got the chickens the woman said that they have to have access to food at all times. Never realised I could feed them breakfast and dinner time.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Mine have grass and what-ever they find all the time. So I give them rations morning and evening.
Might do it different if they didn't have grass.
War-time 'dig for victory' books said give them as much as they can clear up in half an hour, morning and evening, (food was rationed then for people as well). The feed suppliers say they need access on demand to make sure they ALL get what they need (but they want to sell lots of pellets).
I don't like leaving food around for crows, slugs and rats to steal, but them some call me mean (they don't recognise 'frugal')
birtles
Learner Laner

Post by birtles »

hmmm interesting, think I may go down that route because they have so much food at hand that they leave alot on the ground! I hung a cauliflour (spelt wrong prob) in the run thursday and they are not interested at all, still all there. They eat loads of the pellets and also go mad when i throw some corn in but think I may take the feeder away half way through day so they will eat all of whats on the ground. They are on grass..... have moved them around already, amazing how quickly it turns to brown, you'd never have known there was grass there.
Going (well husband is :-D ) to clip their wings this afternoon so I can rest a little better when i do eventually let them out.......... which will be tonight i tyhink.