I admit I am a wimp!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
birtles
Learner Laner

I admit I am a wimp!

Post by birtles »

Ive had my 2 since last Sunday and I am a little afraid of them........ just wondering if they peck will it hurt or is is nothing much? just that when i got them the woman said to watch their claws and beak and basically keep them facing away from you. i was brave today and tried to feed out of my hand but i was so afraid..... just wondering if they sense fear like other animals? I bet your all having a good laugh :oops: :oops:
I held them yesterday but they managed to fly out of my grasp...... think im holding them too gently maybe.... so busy concentrating on which way their beak is facing and the claw position :oops: when I open the run they walk to me but I panic a little and close the run again because I think they are going to fly at me or peck........ Im trying to be strong and show the kids how its done, ...im not doing a very good job. need confidence to not fear them

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I know a bloke, real big bloke who won't go near them!!

No, you'll soon get used to it. Even us 'experienced' Hen Keepers can't hang onto them all the time.......

New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
fussymare
Lively Laner

Post by fussymare »

I'm sure you will get used to them. I have never been pecked or scratched by a hen. They used to peck my toenails if I had bright nail varnish on them! But it didn't hurt - they have quite a gentle peck - used to make me jump though! So don't let them see your toenails. LOL!

You do have to hold them quite firmly - and hold their wings against their body so they can't flap. I always pick them up from behind, as it is easier to hold them firmly this way. Do you have someone who can pick them up confidently? If so, get them to hold the hens, and then you can stroke them, and perhaps get used to them that way.

Funnily enough, when we were putting our girls away in the ark the first night, the little one who has hardly any feathers was last, and she put up quite a fight - literally! She flew up in the air at me as if she was going to peck me. Made me a little bit nervous, but she was fine when I did catch her. I think she was worried that she was last to go to bed - and of course unsettled by the whole move (ex battery hens).

Good luck. Let us know how you get on. :-D
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

Hi birtles
Don't worry, the more you handle them the more confident you will get!
I think it's just that they are unfamiliar at first to most people that makes us a bit anxious. When you think about most people would handle a cat or dog with no thought for the fact that they could hurt us if they wanted. And we'd be a lot worse off if a dog attacked us than if a chicken did!!
My problem is that I worry I am going to hurt them! I don't know why, but if I'm handling an animal I'm not familiar with I worry that they will struggle cos I'm doing it the wrong way and they will get hurt. But again it's just a case of getting familiar with them over time.

Remember to have fun with it!
)t'
Al B
Lively Laner

Post by Al B »

My girls were very flighty to begin with but my 12 year old son persevered and picked them up every day and now they sit happily and eat mealworms out of his hand. They now squat on the ground and wait when we go to pick them up as they know what's coming! They can be wriggly and do need to be held firmly with their wings against their bodies. Putting them down is harder than picking them up I find as they tend to flap. Mine have pecked me when they mistook my rings for food but it does not really hurt and they don't do it to be mean! Just keep handling them quietly and they will soon come round.
fussymare
Lively Laner

Post by fussymare »

I love it when they squat down expecting to be picked up. My last girls were so tame that they did this even when you walked near them. :)

I was able to stroke two of my rescues today. They looked at me rather suspiciously, but I think they are getting used to me a bit more now. )t'
melons
Legendary Laner

picking up hens

Post by melons »

Picking up hens......literally
The squatting thing is ever so slighty more flattering than that, they think you might be there to have a little piggy back, so pop some perfum on next time
:wink: :oops: :wink: :oops:

(f+
Cheers
mel x
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Mel! Piggyback?? :shock: :oops:
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
melons
Legendary Laner

chuckle

Post by melons »

They're squatting ready for the affections of a cockerel, my ladies are virgins & have seen even seen a boy, but still do it.
A cockerel will siddle up to them sideways on, do a little shakie leg & wing style-ie dance, then oo there we go, piggy back rides. LOL
Who said romance was dead :wink:
Cheers
mel x
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Men are alike the world over ............absolutely noooooo comment......
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
melons
Legendary Laner

oow

Post by melons »

Bit like the black widow spider who brings his bride a little parcel wrapped lunch item, then he nips round the back for a bit of hows your father, while she unwraps it, otherwise she'lll eat him, I'm all in favour of presents :-D :-D
Cheers
mel x
Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

Ha ha ha......silly me, all my girls do this everynight when I go to put them to bed - they all sqat down and I can hardly get the gate open to the run.

I thought it was a defensive thing - but it appears to be the exact opposite :oops:

Oh my poor girls - when do I tell them they might as well join a nunnery - 'coz they aint getting any action at our place :wink:

cheers
Jodi
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

I never thought of it as a nunnery, I may have to pinch that term :-D
What a hoot.
I do love cockerels, I think they are beautiful birds, but we are residential, & I we can't keep them here. I think Wendy did a rescue & a cockerel came out of the battery cages, possibly in Brighton? beggars belief.
Cheers
mel x
Speckledhen
Lively Laner

Post by Speckledhen »

One of my girls June started to peck my legs whenever I went into their pen and then when I put my hand near her would do the crouching down and stamping her feet thing. I realised that she was after attention and after you've given her a quick stroke she usually leaves you alone. I didn't realise until reading this topic that it was in fact a mating thing! Oooh er!!

Michele :wink:
In a perfect world every dog would have a home, and every home would have a dog - Anon.
birtles
Learner Laner

Post by birtles »

hope for me yet then!! when ever I open my back door and head out into the garden they really perk up and wait at the run door.... i throw in sweetcorn/rice/pasta so they think its food whenever I'm near. haven't let them out of the run yet until im confident enough to put them back in........... maybe i should let them one out at a time..