I'd like to get a few chickens where do I start

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
tim from the nash
Learner Laner

Post by tim from the nash »

I've been thinking about it for a while, I used to have some when I was growing up and have decided to get a few, even though I live in a 3 bed semi! I have a good sized garden with a nice patch at the end. I will be building a pen, need some advice on designs and fox proofing. Looking at 3 or 4 hens. Where do I get some birds in Warwickshire, how much should I pay, what's a good breed....any help from people with similar experiences would be much appreciated!

AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Hi tim from the nash

Welcome to the forum

Please, please rescue some ex battery girls, These will lay for you give you lots of love and amusement and you will feel warm about it.
There is a rescue coordinator in Droitwich.

Anna
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hello and welcome,

A good starter would be looking at the Forum Picture Page, then have a read through Russell's thread below called 'Have space, want chickens' which shows in great graphical detail what can be achieved in a relative short time.

I think the plan would be to mark out an area.
How many do I want
What size hen house would I need for that amount
How will I fence them in.

There's lots of advice on here and everyone is only too pleased to help

Hoep this helps a little.

Keep us up-dated please.

Cheers for now, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Or you could look at the pages Richard has put on the Main Site.
Click on Chicken Keeping at the top of the page, it's very informative. There are pictures of different kind of hen houses, arcs, runs etc.
And adverts and links so that you can find out how much they cost to buy (how much you can save by improvising and recycling).
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Hi and welcome... may I suggest that you have a good look at the space you have available for chickens and base the no. of chooks you buy on that?
Also I can honestly advise from bitter experience:
1, Only buy from a reputable breeder who allows you to have a good look at the chickes before you buy. (A pretty website does not mean its a good breeder!) dont let your heart rule your head.. a sad looking chook is probably a sick one!(discounting ex batts)
2, Get as many chickens as you can sensibly accomodate right at the start.. adding to the flock later can be really awful, your cute lovable ladies turn into evil witches - their soul objective being to sent the newcomers packing!
3. If you decide to get some ex battery hens, get the no.of your nearest BHWT person, and put your name down on the waiting list - or you may end up with a lovely run and hen house all ready and then months to wait for your chooks...

Do a lot of reading about the different breeds and how hardy etc they are.. there's loads of sites on the net... (and of course on here) Just ask away, we'll all help as much as possible.. Daft things made a big difference to us.. ie. type of feeder and drinker.
Its cheaper in the long run to buy the product which is right for your circumstances straight away.. etc etc...
Heed the words of one who's made most of the mistakes!! :oops:

There's info on Richards pages about fox proofing... and quite a few different types of coops / runs on the picture pages..

But in the end, they are great.. real characters and fun to have (usualy) Enjoy! )t' :mrgreen:
Last edited by Willow on 12 Oct 2007, 11:35, edited 2 times in total.
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
birtles
Learner Laner

Post by birtles »

Hi and welcome. Ive only had my 2 since Sunday and feel ive already made mistakes. Bought feeders etc and really didnt think enough when buying because i know i should have bought one to keep the feed dry when raining or got an ark/house that is raised so feed can go underneath................ at the moment my nights are spent adjusting tarpaulin to cover half the run to keep the feed dry etc!!! wish I'd done it differently. I know as the weeks pass there will be a number of niggles for me. I went to see the breeder and chickens one week before buying them etc so I know where they are from and that they are healthy etc.............. I then bought the setup got it all ready then picked them up a week later. Another mistake I only got 2 and wished i'd 4 at least.......... I thought I was being sensible about the amount of eggs etc but now realise its gonna be one hell of a battle to try and add to them.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

It's not always such a hassle adding hens. Willow has been unlucky in that, and in the health of her new hens ( general advice is isolate new stock, and I suppose it applies to hens as well, but none of us thought of that at the time)

But yes, getting it right first saves one hassle, though you still have it to do a year or so down the line.
birtles
Learner Laner

Post by birtles »

Mo wrote:It's not always such a hassle adding hens. Willow has been unlucky in that, and in the health of her new hens ( general advice is isolate new stock, and I suppose it applies to hens as well, but none of us thought of that at the time)

But yes, getting it right first saves one hassle, though you still have it to do a year or so down the line.

Hi Mo what do you have to do a year or so down the line? sorry me being stupid here. suppose I'd have to have another house to isolate newbies.......... being offered a forsham that needs a good clean out and treatment for a very good price with run, so may go for it.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

If some of your old hens are still with you, you may have to introduce new hens to the flock.
Hens like to know who's boss, and they peck the ones below them, so if there are new birds it leads to squabbling while they sort out who's who. Lots of threads about this.
It is handy to have a spare arc, I have a home-made one, very ramshackle, but it means I can treat the arc with creosote substitute, or separate hens.
birtles
Learner Laner

Post by birtles »

Mo wrote:If some of your old hens are still with you, you may have to introduce new hens to the flock.

what they may not last the year??? I thought they lived for a number of years unless ill of course. Im seriously thinking I may need to add another 2 just incase of illness etc. already 2 so adding another 2 is quite eqyual so may be ok. When get this other ark and clean and paint etc then may get on and do that in a few weeks.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I was talking loosely
My shortest lived hen lasted 18 months (mystery sudden death). I have 3 year olds and 1 year olds together at the moment.
I'm not sure that they lay much after 3 years, what do other people find?
tim from the nash
Learner Laner

thanks

Post by tim from the nash »

Thanks to everyone for all your advice and help. Much appreciated and all very useful!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi Tim,
Welcome to the forum.
As Anna says please consider ex battery hens. I have 4 who are 3 years old now. They still lay, just not as much as they did.
It is so lovely to watch them, start to recover from the awful life they have lead. Stuffed 5 to a cage for most of their lives, unable to perform any natural behaviours at all. Squabbling and being badly pecked whilst trying to eat etc.
To be able to see them taking in the grass beneath their feet and all this lovely world has to offer a little hen. Within hours starting to peck at the grass and scratch around at last behaving as they should.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Morgs
Lively Laner

Post by Morgs »

Yes, please do get ex battery hens - everyone is right - they are little darlings.
You will be completely hooked from the minute they put their feet on grass for the first time ever (and then lift them straight back up again cos they've never felt grass before) to the time they have their first dust bath in the garden soil and make the funniest noises whilst they're doing it!
I have four ex batteries and was expecting them to lay an awful lot less now that the winter is coming, but I am suddenly getting three eggs a day between the four of them. I've had mine since June and they are still living in the dog kennel and seem quite content in there. They knock on the back door every day when I get home from work, they sit on my knee when I'm in the garden and they run about in a wobbly sort of way on their twisted little legs, having so much fun.

I honestly feel that it's the most rewarding thing I've ever done (much more rewarding than the three children I have! - shame on me :)!!)