Live mealworms

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
ades
Lively Laner

Live mealworms

Post by ades »

Hello does anyone know where I can order some live mealworms online please. Just thinking of my girls Christmas present. They do go mad for the dried ones. Yesterday I was just about to open the patio door to go out with some dried ones and Lily part ran part flew the whole length of the garden and bang straight into the patio glass door. yike* Nearly knocked herself out silly girl. She just got up shock herself and started telling me off for not opening the door in time. Its amazing this poor girl couldnt even walk in September not long after she was rescued. Now she is beautiful and full of life.
Poppy, Daisy and Snowy

http://www.gosport.info

4c lady
Legendary Laner

Re: Live mealworms

Post by 4c lady »

Well done Lily what a great bounce back to life she has made. Its lovely to see them looking like and acting like normal hens - well I say normal my batties are indeed batty!! If you think they go mad for dried mealworms just wait till you give them live ones they will jump through fire hoops and fight off big dogs just for one. I get mine from my local independent pet store so try there first. On line try Wiggly wormers or Amazon or live reptile food websites. Ive run out of mealworms and pay day isnt till next week - I could have a chicken revolt on my hands - if you dont hear from me again its coz ive been buried under a pile of chicken poop by 11 angry hens. Im going to get my girls a tub of earthworms for their Christmas box - my postman will be pleased he hates wiggly things and was most put out the last time I ordered them he couldnt hand them over quick enough!!
ades
Lively Laner

Post by ades »

Thank you 4c lady. I have placed an order. No doubt I will be ordering more before Christamas :-D
Poppy, Daisy and Snowy

http://www.gosport.info
Chicken George
Lively Laner

Post by Chicken George »

http://www.vinehousefarm.co.uk/acatalog/livefood.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/shop/pr ... TjFF985FA0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.wildbirddirect.com/wildbirdf ... s_1kg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or, do a search on EBay for some more
Chicken George
Lively Laner

Post by Chicken George »

Well, got a couple of kilos delivered today and gave the girls their first mealworm treat.

I've NEVER seen any live animal eat so damned fast !!!! yike*

My ladies would even beat starlings in a competition - wow...

Got them from here £27.84 delivered by courier:
http://www.livefoodsdirect.co.uk/Regula ... ucts/1034/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But these may be cheaper I think, will check it out next time (which won't be long at the rate they eat:
http://www.livefoods.co.uk/product_info ... ucts_id=56" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4c lady
Legendary Laner

Post by 4c lady »

Welcome to the wonderful world of mealworms. My girls will jump through fire hoops and fight off big dogs to get to the mealworms and the pecking order goes out the window as even the most timid one will trample over "the boss" to get the last one although she will beat them up later. They know what the mealworm tub looks like and if or should I say when they get in the house they know exactly where the tub is and Red knows how to scratch the lid off. My girls will be having Christmas dinner - sprouts, roast potatoes, yorkshire pudding topped off with mealworms, wax worms and earthworms - think I can guess what will get eaten first. At the moment they are most disgusted at having to share their mealworms with the bird table and if they spot one fall they wait until I open the run door at lunchtime and then they all run up the garden to get to that one poor mealworm first - who said chickens dont have memories.
chrissyrozes
Learner Laner

Post by chrissyrozes »

Hi hun, don't know about online but our local pets at home have now started to stock live mealworms in all sizes! Including big fat juicy onees that my girls love! They don't last for more than a few minutes because i get jumped on and sat on the minute they hear the lid open!lmao x
mell
Lively Laner

Post by mell »

Hi everybody,if you have a reptile shop near to you then im sure they will sell live mealworms,used to feed lizards etc.just a thought if you are looking for supplies.hope this helps.mellx )t' )t' )t'
new mad chicken woman joining you guys. hello to you all,this sites a great help so i thought id join up.mellx
Chicken George
Lively Laner

Post by Chicken George »

Update

The mealworms from Live Foods Direct was £27.84 for 2 kilos, which were delivered by courier. Ordered one day, delivered the next.
The actual weight when weighed was around 1.9 kilos (maybe a bit less IIRC)

Just got some from Livefood UK which was £26.56 for 2 kilos, delivered by Royal Mail, ordered one day delivered the next.
The actual weight was 2.2 kilos

So, Livefood UK was £1.28 cheaper, more in the pack and no difference with the delivery times.

Hope this helps.

It will be the Benny Hill scramble for mealworms this afternoon then.... :-D
kezby
Lively Laner

Post by kezby »

i just bought some from livefood, thanks for that link, im sure i am going to be very popular when they arrive!! yike* i normally get them from a local petshop @ £2-50 for a piddly amount.
4c lady
Legendary Laner

Post by 4c lady »

I ust livefood UK too and they are great although the first lot got taken over the road by the courier to my very posh neighbour and the box sat on her beautiful polished wooden floor when asked what I had ordered I just said oats I couldnt bear telling her it was 2 kilos of live mealworms she would have had heart attack. Im currently on my 2nd lot from them and im really pleased with the quality and my girls still go mad for them. Thankfully ive now trained my postman to drop my parcels off at my place of work as it's also on his postal route (nice one Postie).
kezby
Lively Laner

Post by kezby »

Postie just knocked with mine..holding hem at arms length! :-D
all nicely packed in 1/2 kilo sacks and tied with cable ties - how many mealworms make 2 kilos--omg millions!
Naturally i have tried them on the girls who are now my bestest friends! {hug}

To stop me over feeding them - how much should they have a day each roughly??
Richard2510
Learner Laner

Post by Richard2510 »

We keep reptiles, and we order our Mealworms from Ebay! Good value )t'

Cheers

Richard
dawncolin
Lively Laner

Post by dawncolin »

I have just been catching up on a few posts and wondered how you all manage to keep 2 kilos of live mealworms from turning into beetles? I have always ordered dried mealworms, mostly via Ebay at around 25.00 for 2 kilos but haven't bothered with the live ones in those quantities, because I didn't think I would get through them quick enough.

2 kilos sounds like a lot of live mealworms as I only have 5 chooks )eat(
Owners of some very spoilt and loved chooks - Aggy, Dolly, Molly & Rosie (RIP Hetty & Maud)
Richard2510
Learner Laner

Post by Richard2510 »

dawncolin wrote:I have just been catching up on a few posts and wondered how you all manage to keep 2 kilos of live mealworms from turning into beetles? I have always ordered dried mealworms, mostly via Ebay at around 25.00 for 2 kilos but haven't bothered with the live ones in those quantities, because I didn't think I would get through them quick enough.

2 kilos sounds like a lot of live mealworms as I only have 5 chooks )eat(

If you keep them in an old fridge, they won't pupate :-D

Cheers

Richard