Shop keeper selling farm eggs.

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
DJ_Chook
Lively Laner

Shop keeper selling farm eggs.

Post by DJ_Chook »

I saw some non-'Class A' maran eggs for sale in a food shop, there were about 8 trays of 30 eggs. They were alongside some other eggs that were Class A, producer stamped and with all the relevant dates.

I noted that the maran eggs were definitely not up to Class A standard by the scratches, imperfect shells and poo. No producer stamp on the egg, no dates, no identification.

I asked the guy behind the counter if they were Class A. He said he didn't know. But that he sells them for a local farmer and they are sold within a couple of days. So I asked again if they are Class A eggs and he just shrugs.

I am sure this isn't ok?

chicken_house_man
Lively Laner

Re: Shop keeper selling farm eggs.

Post by chicken_house_man »

If they are his eggs he can sell them direct to the public with no description.
If they are not his eggs he can't sell them.
It's all down to traceability.
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Post by Teasal »

Years ago, we used to take a big basket of eggs twice a week to the village shop, all free range. They used to put 10p a dozen on them, and sold them all.

No longer able to do it unfortunately, with all the rules and regulations. I sell mine from the gate, mixed sized for one price. No class A or stamp. If I was a registered packing station they would need sizing and stamping etc. I have a DEFRA registered flock, but thats it.

I notice the fruit and veg shop in the village sell trays of eggs, and I know they buy them in off one of the village farmers, but they are definitely not stamped, and say free range. I also know they are not free range. There is a sign outside the farm selling eggs too, also says free range.

My sign says free range, and you can see the hens ARE just that.
DJ_Chook
Lively Laner

Post by DJ_Chook »

chicken_house_man wrote:If they are his eggs he can sell them direct to the public with no description.
If they are not his eggs he can't sell them.
It's all down to traceability.

They are not his eggs, he sells them for a farmer. So he is breaking the law.

Teasal wrote:... with all the rules and regulations. I sell mine from the gate, mixed sized for one price. No class A or stamp. If I was a registered packing station they would need sizing and stamping etc. I have a DEFRA registered flock, but thats it.

Same here.

Teasal wrote: ... I notice the fruit and veg shop in the village sell trays of eggs, and I know they buy them in off one of the village farmers, but they are definitely not stamped, and say free range. I also know they are not free range.

So they too are flying outside the Egg Marketing Inspectorate boundaries.

My village shop knows the regulations. I'm going EMI registered so I can sell some boxes of eggs at the shop.

As for the shop with the dirty maran eggs... Well I'm off there today to buy some. I hope he has a cockerel running with them, they are going in the incubator :-D
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

I know a bloke who has about 5 oap birds 2 are males. He sells hundreds of eggs at the farmgate with an honesty box. The eggs are delivered to him in boxes- knowing him - wouldn't know how old they are, but he sells hundreds.
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Post by roddelmae »

There is something I don't understand about DJ Chook's posting. The Maran eggs are 'non-Class A eggs' being sold alongside some eggs that were graded and stamped Class A.
The shopkeeper shrugged when asked if they were Class A, so he is not saying they are.
No one who sees these eggs for sale should be under the impression that these eggs are anything other than local farm eggs, and not subject to DEFRA grading etc., so I don't see what the problem is?
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I think the 'problem' is that legally, the shop isn't allowed to sell them as they are ungraded, unstamped eggs produced elswhere.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
DJ_Chook
Lively Laner

Post by DJ_Chook »

The maran eggs are 'local farm eggs'. As they are not being sold at the farmgate, but by a another party, they are subject to the Egg Marketing Inspectorate regulations.

For them to be sold in the shops they should be producer stamped, weighed, graded, checked for cracks, clean & have at least a useby date etc.

I'm not about to dob him into trading standards. But it does sort of fly in the face of those who are trying to do things by the book.

I can't take a tray of unmarked eggs to my local shop and have them sell them. I have to be EMI registered.

DJ Chook