Where do you buy your supplies

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
pinkchicky
Lively Laner

Where do you buy your supplies

Post by pinkchicky »

Where does everyone buy their supples from?

I have read a lot about farm shops and horse supply shops but I don't know of any where I live as I am in a town! :oops: and probably not looked properly!

I still go to Pets at Home but wondered if the food and other bits are ok?! +confused+
Claire
Chick, chick, chick, chick, chicky lay a little egg for me!
Our other lovelies include 3 cats, 2 pond gold fish and a handful of tropical fish. x x

Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Re: Where do you buy your supplies

Post by Grannyof4 »

I get mine from my local feed merchant who does all sorts of animal feeds.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I get mine from a local livery stables, who sell all sorts of animal food stuff.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Google "animal feed merchants Northamptonshire" there are loads but obviously you can find the nearest to where you are in Northants
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

You should be able to find a livestock feedmerchant - or maybe a Wynnstay or countrywide?

I use a local animal feed place which is fine. Pets at home is fine, but you're paying over the odds there
Small steps lead to big changes
GerryOB
Lively Laner

Post by GerryOB »

We got our Pellets, corn, grit and stuff like lice/mite powder etc from the same place we got the hens from. Still using most of it as we've not had them long. However, I did buy mixed corn from Pets at home and didn't find it to be as good as what I'd bought originally. It had less variety in it and was much more powdery, so I think in future we will go back to the place where we bought the hens from to get all the feed stuffs from them. They were considerably cheaper too.
Chief cook and bottle washer to: 6 children, 5 grandchildren, 4 chickens, 1 dog, 2 guinea-pigs, 1 hamster and hubby!
dogcatcher
Longlasting Laner

Post by dogcatcher »

GerryOB wrote:We got our Pellets, corn, grit and stuff like lice/mite powder etc from the same place we got the hens from. Still using most of it as we've not had them long. However, I did buy mixed corn from Pets at home and didn't find it to be as good as what I'd bought originally. It had less variety in it and was much more powdery, so I think in future we will go back to the place where we bought the hens from to get all the feed stuffs from them. They were considerably cheaper too.

If you are in west Surrey try Rokers Animal Feeds opposite Merrist Wood. They are the cheapest that I have found.
GerryOB
Lively Laner

Post by GerryOB »

dogcatcher wrote:
GerryOB wrote:We got our Pellets, corn, grit and stuff like lice/mite powder etc from the same place we got the hens from. Still using most of it as we've not had them long. However, I did buy mixed corn from Pets at home and didn't find it to be as good as what I'd bought originally. It had less variety in it and was much more powdery, so I think in future we will go back to the place where we bought the hens from to get all the feed stuffs from them. They were considerably cheaper too.

If you are in west Surrey try Rokers Animal Feeds opposite Merrist Wood. They are the cheapest that I have found.

Thanks for that, have just looked them up and bookmarked their site. Will get hubby to take me over there at the weekend. )t'
Chief cook and bottle washer to: 6 children, 5 grandchildren, 4 chickens, 1 dog, 2 guinea-pigs, 1 hamster and hubby!
Sejjie70
Legendary Laner

Post by Sejjie70 »

We have a local feed merchant where we get their layers pellets & bedding from. He also stocks feeders, coops/houses & various health/hygiene stuff & seems to cover most animals/birds (from horses down to garden birds). Feed & bedding are reasonably priced (& as I've become a regular I also get a discount :-D ), as are feeders/drinkers, but the coops/houses are on the expensive side (IMO) for what are basically cheap foreign imports....

There is another feed supplier locally which is like a kind of cross between a hardware/general store & pet supplies place but they're way more expensive when it comes to chicken feed, corn & chicken supplies in general (though saying that they sell the same imported coops/housing for less than the feed merchant).

Corn & wormer (flubenvet) I get for nothing via Simon's work & a game-keeper friend respectively.
Sarah.
Mum to 1 hubby, 4 children, 3 Springer Spaniels (Max, Millie & Buttons), 2 cats (Sox & Frankie), 2 rabbits (Crunchie & Munchie), 12 chickens (Target, Speckle, Barbara, Margot, EggieII, Gomez, Sparkle, Glitter, Wednesday & Isabel), 3 geese (Lister, Smeg & Camille) & 4 ducks (Soup, Anya, Marble & Vindaloo).
alih
Lively Laner

Post by alih »

Hi
I'm in Northamptonshire too and I get my suuplies from Collins Pet Foods, Blue Barn Farm, High Street, Hardingstone. They sell all sorts of pet foods including horse and poultry at really good prices. They are situated just off the Quenn Eleanor roundabout, postcode is NN4 6PF.
[color=#8000BF]Two ex batts, one blue haze and one rhode rock, one 15 yr old cat, three step children and a very lovely husband! Not forgetting Snowdrop, Marigold and Buttercup, gone but never forgotten.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

morph wrote:You should be able to find a livestock feedmerchant - or maybe a Wynnstay or countrywide?

I use a local animal feed place which is fine. Pets at home is fine, but you're paying over the odds there

Strangely, I've found our Pets at Home is cheaper than our nearest animal feed merchant!! Guess it depends how much profit they want to make. But worth comparing rather than assuming, I'd say.