Advice on moving chooks

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
angel253
Lively Laner

Advice on moving chooks

Post by angel253 »

Hi All,

We are moving house in a month's time, only an hour away, from Folkestone to Hildenborough.

Does anyone have any general advice on how chooks handle moving and/or the best way to do it?

Thanks
Angela )t'
Angela x
[center]Maud, Marge, Dolly, Annie, Hattie, Sirah, Adelaide,Isobelle (RIP Bertie) Plus 3 as yet unnamed![/center][center]cats Austin & Lewis, goldfish Freddie, Goldie, Del, Rodney & Dave
oh & one wonderful Adrian[/center]
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk

morph
Longlasting Laner

Re: Advice on moving chooks

Post by morph »

I would use cardboard boxes, with newspaper in the bottom, with plenty of ventilation holes. When it's dark, they seem to settle down and keep calm and quiet. It's not too far either, so I'd say you'll be ok with them on that journey. Just make sure their new home is ready and waiting with plenty of water and food when they get there.

Happy moving )t'
Small steps lead to big changes
GerryOB
Lively Laner

Re: Advice on moving chooks

Post by GerryOB »

This brings back a memory from about 15 years ago, when I was planning on moving to Berkshire. The back garden of the property I was interested in was really big, and the current owner had a chicken run with chickens in it. She said that if she moved, she would leave the chickens, as if you moved them, the stress would kill them. Not being a chicken keeper myself at the time I took her word for it and assumed that we would be inheriting chickens. In the end the move fell through, although that was what initially got me interested all those years ago.

I think she was using it as an excuse to leave her chickens behind because they were possibly coming to the end of their egg laying days, and she didn't want the worry of them anymore (telling porkies +pinn+ ), as I've never heard anyone since say that the stress of a house move would cause chickens any harm.
Chief cook and bottle washer to: 6 children, 5 grandchildren, 4 chickens, 1 dog, 2 guinea-pigs, 1 hamster and hubby!