Help with new ex batts please

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
auxiliary
Lively Laner

Help with new ex batts please

Post by auxiliary »

I picked up my 3 new girls yesterday and put them in their new house next to my
other 3 girls in their house,the pen is divided into two.
I was going to sleep themall together last night but my new girls never came out of their house so I decided to leave them there for the night.
When I went to open up this morning they were ok. I have been again this afternoon and one of the new girls ventured out,but as soon as two of my other girls saw her they came up to the fence and were making loud noises, then the new girl went up to the fence and they were all fighting.I had to seperate them
then after that my new girl just sat in the grass,I think she was a bit traumatized.
I am a bit reluctant to sleep them all together yet because they have not even seen each other outside.Please if anyone has any suggestions what I should do
let me know.

morph
Longlasting Laner

Re: Help with new ex batts please

Post by morph »

I would say the same really - making sure they can see each other is the key. I find it far easier to introduce similar numbers of new to old - (or a couple more new ones), so the older ones don't go mental pecking at the newer ones.

Also, I'd get another drinker and feeder, so when you do transfer them, there is more than one place to get fed - otherwise, it can be quite common for the oldies to hog the food/drink, and not let the newbies have any!
Small steps lead to big changes
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

Some people keep the newbies seperate during the day and let them sleep in the same coop from day one, others like me, keep them completely seperate for a while to let them adjust and gather strenght. Let them fight through the fence. They can't do any damage that way.
There is a sticky thread at the top of the chicken keeping section that deals with introduction of new hens.
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
auxiliary
Lively Laner

Post by auxiliary »

Thanks to all who replied.Just been to put them all to bed and the new girl was outside again but the others were taking no notice of her.But I will keep them seperated till they get used to seeing eachother
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Mind you, it is only the first day, possibly too soon for there to be a fixed pattern, it could all be different tomorrow.

I wouldn't separate them at night, only in the daytime if there's bother.

When you say a large area, how large an area is that please, as in are there corners, bushes they can hide behind and get away from trouble?

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
janepick
Legendary Laner

Post by janepick »

you are under no pressure to put them together so let the hens take their time in getting to know each othjer via the wire that you have sepeating them. Does it matter if it 3 days or 3 months..... :?
Jane x