Have had to buy eggs!!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Lola
Lively Laner

Have had to buy eggs!!

Post by Lola »

For the first time since getting the girls in Feb, i have had to buy eggs from the shop and i have to say they are nowhere near as nice as Flo and Buttercups )dwn: !!
I've only bought some as the girls went to stay with a friend for a week so havent been here to lay and ive been giving them some scrambled egg for protein.
Makes you realise the difference between 'real' eggs and shop bought ones, and i know without a doubt which are the best!! )t'
The wicked witch of the (south) west!

joanne3393
Lively Laner

Re: Have had to buy eggs!!

Post by joanne3393 »

i used to love egg sandwiches from the sandwich van with cheese and onion crisps (to lazy to make own lunch at work) however since having my girls since April I havnt been able to eat the shop bought eggs so will have to start making my own lunch again :-D
Family includes Tilly & Tiny the sheep, Chester the horse, and Lewis the Hare, Oh and how could I forget to put the 8 velociraptors, now added Soks the lurcher
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Yes, the taste certainly is much better!!!! We spoil ourselves in the end. I don't like shop bought eggs at all now, and would rather just use my own!!!
Small steps lead to big changes
4c lady
Legendary Laner

Post by 4c lady »

So far I havent brought eggs since 2nd August 2008. If I havent got any to spare for me (I sell almost all of mine) then I go without. All my customers say they cant go back to brought eggs either there is such a difference they are richer and creamier. Ive more customers than eggs at the moment so dont know what will happen in the winter when my girls have their well deserved winter holiday break.
jennyt
Lively Laner

Post by jennyt »

i sell all my eggs too - the only ones i get to eat are the double yokers (boy are they biggies, the lid won't shut!!) which has been about one every 6 weeks maybe and last week, i think a pigeon must have nipped into the hut and laid an egg. it only weighed 20g +confused+ it rattled about in the egg box looking very silly, bless, so i decided to crack it open out of curiosity. it only had a speck of yolk, but a very nice white - but not enough there to make anything with (dog liked it though).

about four weeks ago i added 4 rodie rocks to my flock and only two are laying decent sized eggs, one isn't laying yet and one laid this tiddler. am thinking hens are younger than made out to be. no doubt all will be ok soon )t'
4c lady
Legendary Laner

Post by 4c lady »

Ive got a Red who lays 100 gramme eggs and you are right you cant get the lid to close but everyone always asks me for one of Red's eggs even though the whites are a bit watery now as she is getting on a bit (dont tell her that) so the normal eggs taste better. Red never lays double yokers but one big yoke. People tell me the almost white eggs (Daisy's) are double yokers but everytime I have a Daisy egg it isnt - I must have words with her. Funnily enough no one wants Molly's chocolate brown eggs they prefer the normal light brown/beige/white eggs yet there is no difference in taste.
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

Havnt bought any since October. I sell some of ours but usually have enough to do what I need to.
My neighbours who have our eggs, tell me they have had a few double yolkers, and they just get them in the order the come off the skelter.They didnt tell me at first because they were embarassed. I havent had a single double, bloomin cheek. )dwn:
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.