Looks like we're expanding our flock.

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
LittleBrownFrog

Looks like we're expanding our flock.

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

We've had our three ex-bats for about 6 weeks. On the day I collected them, I also collected three for a friend who has decided (because she is only getting one egg a day between the three of them) to have two killed and to replace them with 2 point-of-lays. I feel awful about this. I initially said to dh that I wouldn't take them on, because we have a 'plan' and have made sure that we have enough space to be able to get another two or three hens if/when we reach a point where ours are barely laying. But ... have been thinking about it today & have decided to 'rescue' them after all.
I'm just off to read the 'introducing new chickens' thread & formulate a plan of action .... then I just need to tell dh {rofwl}

Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Re: Looks like we're expanding our flock.

Post by Grannyof4 »

How could she.......rescue plan into action.....well done. I would take them but probably not in the right area.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

LBF,
Easily done. Start plying him with drink, when he is seeing double slip the new girls in. He'll never notice the difference )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
LittleBrownFrog

She's pretty sure they're all laying, but only every three days - she's just keeping her favourite. I'm going to try to persuade her to let me take all three. Can't see the point of 'rescuing' them from a life as egg-laying machines only to kill them off if they don't perform.

We're going away next Monday. If I get the new girls in tomorrow night, do you think all will have settled by then? My neighbours are pretty good, but I'm not sure about leaving them in charge of supervising the pecking order struggle :?
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

If you get them quick - you stand a chance.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I'm a bit shocked that she would rescue ex-batts in the first place if eggs are her priority, but I suppose we all live and learn. It would be awful if they were killed after all they have been through. Well done you for taking them on {hug}

How long are you going to be away for? Introductions can be fairly vicious for a good couple of weeks. I would be very concerned about leaving a neighbour in charge if things haven't settled. Is there any way your friend can be persuaded to hang on to them until you get back? Or is there any way you can rig up a temporary run until your return? I think you need a back-up plan in case all hell brakes loose... unless your neighbour has the time to oversee the squabbling :?

Lucy x
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

I hope your friend realises that buying 2 point of lays doesn't mean she's guaranteed 2 eggs every day...I've had 6 eggs off Roxy in 3 months... she's spent the rest of the time broody...just as well I don't think of her as an egg laying machine.... {hug}
_kerry1979_
Lively Laner

Post by _kerry1979_ »

I'm left speechless by your friend {cry} doesn't sound to me like she should have any sort of animal!

Anyway well done you for rescuing them from her. I would deffo try and get them all!

Good luck

Keep us posted
Kerry

New to chickens....
--------------------------------------------------------------
Owner of a gorgeous 6 year old Lab (Jack) and two Red Rump Parakeets (Bob & Viv). Getting some lovely young girls as soon as possible. . coop has finally arrived from eBay - 4 weeks late!
--------------------------------------------------------------
LittleBrownFrog

If it looks like there's going to be trouble then I can set up a temporary run next to the main run, but the new girls will have to sleep in cat baskets lol We'll sort something out.
LittleBrownFrog

Totally Scrambled wrote:LBF,
Easily done. Start plying him with drink, when he is seeing double slip the new girls in. He'll never notice the difference )t'
Dom

I didn't even need to go to such lengths Dom ... he walked in about half an hour ago and said 'are they here yet?' - apparently I am *that* predictable, and when I said yesterday that I definitely wasn't going to take them on, he didn't believe me for a second {rofwl}

Anyway ... it's all arranged, I'm collecting them tomorrow morning, will fence off a temporary area for them at the bottom of the garden & then send them in with the others at bedtime & cross my fingers.

Another friend has offered to take them on as well, so if we have major problems introducing them & it looks like they won't be settled before we go away, then we at least have a 'plan B' )t' .
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Great news :-D

It's always good to have a plan B. You probably won't need it but it will take the pressure off. Good luck for tomorrow, keep us posted )t'

Lucy x
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

Good luck!!

I had to do the same..my friend got 8 then decided he only wanted 6 , he was going to kill them but I got them before he had the chance! Hes my friend but what a mean man!! )ang
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
Lola
Lively Laner

Post by Lola »

she's just keeping her favourite.

{cry}
That is so sad, poor chickens but well done you for rescuing them!
The wicked witch of the (south) west!
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

well done you for taking the ex batts on hope it goes smoothly . You are certainly a better person than me (Annie) cos I wwould be feeling a little less than friendly at the moment. We hope to get our first ex batts at the start of September and of course we are hoping for eggs once they have settled in but basically they are going to be outdoor pets and will live out their lives to their natural end.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Bambi
Lively Laner

Post by Bambi »

I think your friend should be ashamed of herself !!! Those poor little chooks think yeah here we come freedom to be faced with you're not working for your keep off with your heads - utterly shameless !!!!

She shouldn't be allowed to keep headlice never mind chickens {warn}

Oh i feel better now that is off my chest xxx

Heres to a happy and long life with you

)c( >gl<
Busy full time working mum to two gorgeous girls, 5 posh birds, a cat called Brambles, a kitten called Buttons , wife to Adrian, and novice gardener loving the good life just call me Barbara !!!

>eas2<