First Bedtime

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
123wkd456
Lively Laner

First Bedtime

Post by 123wkd456 »

We have picked up our chickens today. They seem to have settled into the run ok, all three of them have been eating the pellets and drinking the water. We now appear to have a bit of a problem getting them into the coop. One of them has made her way up and it sat at the top of the ramp. The other two are huddled underneath the coop. Is it ok to leave them there? The run is fully protected with mesh and a roof on the top. Will they make it up into the coop in there own time? The space beneath the coop is a bit tight for us to try to get at them to pick them up. }hairout{

ock

Re: First Bedtime

Post by ock »

you are going to have to try and pick them up and put them in the coop or maybe try putting a torch in there, they may go up to the light, I had to pick mine up and put them in for the first couple of nights
[center]OCK LIKES TO PARTY !!!![/center]
GerryOB
Lively Laner

Post by GerryOB »

You could try shutting the pop hole door, then picking them up one at a time and putting them in the coop. We bought ours home in the evening, so put them straight in the coop and they didn't have access to the run until the following morning. By then they had realised where bed was and went in of their own accord by 8.30 the following evening, and have done ever since. If you are fox proof, then they won't come to any harm but I'd try to encourage them to go in the coop to establish a bedtime routine. Just don't read them 'chicken run' as a bedtime story {rofwl}
Chief cook and bottle washer to: 6 children, 5 grandchildren, 4 chickens, 1 dog, 2 guinea-pigs, 1 hamster and hubby!
123wkd456
Lively Laner

Post by 123wkd456 »

Thank you very much for your advise. Just picked them up and put them away. Like you say best to get them into a bit of a routine. I'm sure they will eventually learn what to do. :shock:
ock

Post by ock »

I`m sure they`ll find their own way to bed tomorrow )t'
perchy

Post by perchy »

It may take a few nights, but the torch is good, I used it and it worked a treat )t'
ock

Post by ock »

perchy wrote:It may take a few nights, but the torch is good, I used it and it worked a treat )t'

and it gives them a chance to read a book for half an hour before they go to sleep )t' )grin2(
123wkd456
Lively Laner

Post by 123wkd456 »

Now they are in there we are already thinking of what time we should be letting them out again in the morning. Is it a case of as early as possible?
ock

Post by ock »

I normally let mine out about 7.30 before I go to work, but you`ll prob be up really early tomorrow morning dying to get out there to check on them )grin2( , I know I was )grin2(
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

In all honesty - it would be best for the hens to be let out when its light, but we're only human and like to sleep. )t'
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Forget sleep you now have chickens. It is really each to their own. I am a real morning person so up with the lark and my chickens, ducks and rest of the rabble are all done early. The winters are long and dark so I like to give my chickens as much freedom as possible in the summer. If you have neighbours and you have the sort of chickens who are rather noisy if left shut in then you may well have to get up and let them out. Play it by ear!!!!!
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Play it by ear seems right. We've had ours 2 weeks and 1 day and one of ours lets me know she wants out at about 6am, she seems really loud to me!

Ours went to bed fine, but the man who delivered them put them in the box and let them find their own way down the ramp. They even lay their eggs in the right place!

They stayed up late (10ish) for a couple of days, though that may have been the OH watching them, but are in bed by about 8.45 now!

I'm hoping they will sleep in later as the light changes!
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
Bambi
Lively Laner

Post by Bambi »

I too was having problems with bedtime but the guys on here recommended waiting until it was dark and they would go to bed and hey presto we haven't looked back since

>gl<
Busy full time working mum to two gorgeous girls, 5 posh birds, a cat called Brambles, a kitten called Buttons , wife to Adrian, and novice gardener loving the good life just call me Barbara !!!

>eas2<
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yep mine are up between 7 and 7.30
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have an auto door, so it opens at first light and closes at dusk. I really love it as it means that the chickens make the most of every daylight hour.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com