Green stuff & chooks.

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

Good girls... you get stuck in )eat(
I did have a hen who dug holes, RIP Betty, but the others aren't too bad, they do rake out the moss )t'
Thank you Michele :-D that picture was actual size & to scale, it's tiny my house.
Cheers
mel x

Speckledhen
Lively Laner

Post by Speckledhen »

It may be small but it's lovely!
In a perfect world every dog would have a home, and every home would have a dog - Anon.
fussymare
Lively Laner

Post by fussymare »

Lovely photos Mel - they look as if they are playing "follow the leader". :-D

I think the secret is to have a big enough area of grass in ratio to the number of hens you keep. We are lucky enough to have just over half an acre, and although my hens are in a run now and only allowed access to the main garden (and grass) grass when we are around (due to fox making an earth too close for comfort!) - in the past we used to have ducks and chickens free ranging and it never really harmed the grass. They did most of their scratching around and dust bathing in my borders. :shock:

Here's some pics of when we had ducks and hens together a few years back.

lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Oh look how gorgeous! Do chicken and ducks live happily along side each other?
When we move im really looking for a place with a natural pond as i have always wanted ducks too!
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
fussymare
Lively Laner

Post by fussymare »

Yes Lou, mine did. I used a chicken ark as a house for both. The hens would go up the ramp to the sleeping quarters to roost, and the ducks had the lower area with plenty of straw to sleep on. We boarded in the back and half of the front of the lower half (which is usually wire netting) so the ducks had shelter. We never used it as a run, which is what it's designed to be, as we had a large pen for them.

Word of caution - unless you have a stream or a really huge garden pond more the size of a small lake, they will trash a pond in no time. We used to fill an old children's sand pit for them to bath in. This was plastic and easy to flush out with the hose and refill when necessary - usually about once a week. :)
sunny
Lively Laner

Post by sunny »

What wonderful pics! And, I envy your garden Fussy!
fussymare
Lively Laner

Post by fussymare »

Thanks Sunny. We fell in love with the garden when we came to view the property. The house was much smaller than our previous one, but we all squashed in and saved up for a loft conversion, so now we have 3 bedrooms again instead of 2. The outside space makes up for the lack of rooms inside in the summer, and the cottage is cosy in the winter months. :)
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

So you don't actually have to have a pond then?

Sorry mel )ot:
fussymare
Lively Laner

Post by fussymare »

I found it better not to have a pond - we did make one for them, but they trashed it in a very short space of time. The plastic pool (which was actually an Early Learning Centre sandpit) was brilliant for them.

To see a photo of 4 wild ducks swimming in it (very long story!) see Other Breeds of Poultry under this section, and the thread "What to keep with hens?". :)
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Thanks Fussymare have posted there

Love love love the the photos!!!
Lynne
Lively Laner

Post by Lynne »

Great pics Mel! I think it is probably down to the size of the garden. We had quite a small garden when we kept chickens before and they soon made it into a mud bath, but now that we have such a big garden, there grass is wonderful! If I could fathom how to post a pic I'd show you!! In fact, we cut the grass for the first time last week because they keep the grass down so well! We DO have a few craters under hedges but I can cope with that!!
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

Hi Lynne you need to open a photobucket account to post pic's. I think in the practice section there are some guide lines on how to do it, i can't really remember, if not ask again & I'll do you a blow by blow how to post pic's thing )t'
Cheers
mel x
jaylay30
Learner Laner

Post by jaylay30 »

melons wrote:Hi Lynne you need to open a photobucket account to post pic's. I think in the practice section there are some guide lines on how to do it, i can't really remember, if not ask again & I'll do you a blow by blow how to post pic's thing )t'

Yes there is a training video as well. Ive just opened my account (its very easy) ready to post pictures when my chickens arrive. Ive been taking pictures as Ive been going along to show how the area the chickens will live in has changd from somewhere I stored/dumped rubbish down the side of our house to a chicken run.
Thanks.

Jerry
Lynne
Lively Laner

Post by Lynne »

I'll check it out later - thanks for the help guys!
Lynne
Lively Laner

Post by Lynne »

I'm not sure this will work. I have no idea at all how you uploaded your pics. I've joined photobucket as you suggest but that's as far as I have got! I have no patience I'm afraid! I will paste the link below and hopefully you will see the green green grass and a couple of chooks.. they ARE in all the pics, just in the darker areas and cannot be seen.
http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn294/lynne888
Photobucket