1st post from 1st time chicken keeper :)

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Will
Learner Laner

1st post from 1st time chicken keeper :)

Post by Will »

Hello all

I have been reading the forum with interest the last few days!

I have been wanting to keep chickens for about the last 18 months, but having a demanding job 4 children (two of which are identical twin boys just turned 4 and the edlest 2 being ferried to and from swimming, scouts dance club etc). It did not leave me much time, so all I did was talk and read about keeping chickens.

This last month though the urge to keep chickens has become unbareable, it seemed that evey couple of minutes all I could think about was chickens :) The only thing that was putting me off was the expense of an Egglu or coop and run :?

On Saturday enough was enough I just had to have chickens :) so I decided that I would convert the summer house, so I partioned part of it for my chicken house, fitted a perch, nestbox and cut a pophole fitted a door and made a little ramp for them. I was ready to go!

We all jumped into the car and went to the Domestic Wild foul trust (just outside Evesham in Worcestershire) and got all the bits and bobs that I thought I would need as well as 1 X RIR (Ginger) 1 X Speckled (Freckles) and 2 X Black Rocks (Jelly and Blackie)

I left them in their new house until Sunday morning 7am, they spent the whole day in the garden while I built a run on the side of the summer house(Hen House)

I cannot belive how addictive they are, my whole experience so far 3 days, has been so much more rewarding than I imagined :) they are just FANTASTIC.

I will post a few questions later once I have measured my/their house and run and maybe a few photos as well :)

Will
Last edited by Will on 29 Apr 2008, 16:12, edited 3 times in total.

sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

man go for it it will give you the most pleasure in relaxation you can ever imagine and your children will love you for doing this i an ow over 40 and love this its so relaxing, i wish my parents did this for me , but sadly had to learn the world and its ways for myself , go do it , AND ENJOY
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

will post a few questions later once I have measured my/their house and run ?

ARE YOU DOWN SIZEING? good luck im new here too and the help you get is magnifficent, i give you my word
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Welcome to the forum Will. I'm sure you'll have great fun with your new girls! Looking forward to seeing the pics!
Last edited by morph on 29 Apr 2008, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
Small steps lead to big changes
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

What a smashing introduction of you and your quest for chucks!
Welcome to the site :-D .
As Sharon says you certainly won't regret having them; I can sit for hours watching their antics ; they are funny, cute, loveable and so much more!.
Looking forward to some photos when you get a minute )t'
Chucky Egg
wendy

Post by wendy »

Welcome to the forum.
They are addictive, so don't expect to only have those you have now. I started with 4 and now have 9.
My father kept chickens when I was a child, so I did have them and have wanted them ever since. It was only once I realised you could rescue ex battery hens I got motivated and the rest is history. I was over 60 when I went for it.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Hello, hope that you enjoy the forum and the friendly chums that inhabit it's threads. Apparently some of them are into chicken keeping so you might find out some usful stuff, i did.
Bah Humbug
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

Hello Will,

My house was a mess for about two months after I got my girls. None of my friends noticed. LOL

Post some piccys, we all love to see them.

Rachel
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Welcome on board and congrats for following your dream.
Chickens are lovely, I have 8 ladies all ex batts. Like you I waited approx 3 yrs to get mine. Couldnt have them where we lived before so had to wait till we moved. Havent so far had more, but I am seriously thinking about it lol.
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Hello, and welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of chickens!

As everyone has said they so addictive, i spend all my time either with them, thinking about them or talking about them!

I got my 3 ex-battery girls over 3 weeks ago, and they already are part of my life and family, they are just great pets with added bonus of beautiful eggs!

Looking forward to seeing the pics of your girls.

Lou xx
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
gigglingfish
Lively Laner

Post by gigglingfish »

Hi and welcome. You've definitely found the best source on the internet for chickens! :-D It's surprising how little you get done over a few girls. We got eight about 6 weeks ago, and I have done little else than watch them and babble to them (expect to question your sanity with them :razz: ), even though I've had three essays from uni to do and my deadline is now Friday and i still have one to go :oops: !! I'm 21 and I know for sure that I am a chicken keeper for life! My best tip is never be afraid to ask...if you've got a question or probelm it's more than likely that someone else has been through the same thing, or is wondering about asking the same thing! Piccys would be lovely.
"The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it." - Arnold H. Glasgow
cheeky chicken
Lively Laner

Post by cheeky chicken »

I also have twin boys who will be 4 on may 10th.

I got my five on sunday, they are ISA browns and I think would have been destined to be battery hens. I have named one, Mrs Brown she is the biggest and the most confident, and a bit lighter in colour.
I can't tell the others apart ..........yet. Hopefully they will grow up to look a bit different, im sure they will in personality.

We live in scotland, ( we have been up here for about 6 months after moving up from leeds.) So there are lots of sawmills up here where we got the wood cheap for our house and run. The house is brilliant and we are just extending their run. Section by section, working in between the rain! We were out there every day for about 2 weeks building the house. Nevermind about the house work!!! I can now fully appreciate why the "bought" houses and runs are so expensive, alot of work (and time) goes into them.

I am totally spoiling mine, don't see that is going to stop. Always on chicken websites and I dream about chickens every night...........not good I think I am becoming obsessed........

Cheecky Chicken
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Cheeky chicken be proud youve uprooted yourselves and starting fresh and you starting a new life , enjoy it and also enjoy all what goes with the moving and i guarantee you will be very happy, welcome onboard
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

i have dutch bantams(very tame)the cat aint sure though so hes getting closer in the kennel for acceptation, i go into the run often but then the cat skeeps indoors at night so no worries and the chicken are all secure after a bedtime story and worms
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Nice to see you Will and look forward to hearing the progress.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome