Moving a small run - how often?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
BellThirsty
Learner Laner

Moving a small run - how often?

Post by BellThirsty »

Hello all, I'm looking for a bit of advice. I have recently got two hens and enjoying keeping them. I have them in a small coop and run in my back garden which I move every couple of days.
Here's the issue - my dear lady wife has 'diplomatically' objected to the way that the garden is being messed up - although I do clean up the majority of the poo after moving the run! In fairness the garden is pretty small and although it's not too bad at this time of year, I am wondering if during the winter I will basically have a grassless garden covered in liberal helpings of chicken poo.
My next thought was to keep the run stationary. The run is about six feet by three feet, although I am concerned about the hygiene factor as after a few days the hens would then be picking through their own poo.
Is this a problem or would it be okay to keep a run of this size in the one spot? If I was to keep it in the one spot, what it be okay to lift their poo say once a week? Would I have to put something (bark) on the floor of the run?
I hope these questions make sense to someone!!

manda

Post by manda »

Hi and welcome...
I'm afraid I can't be of much help here as my girls free range so I don't know how quickly and area that size would get mucked up...but there will be someone who can help.
Good Luck :-D
stiggy
Lively Laner

Post by stiggy »

You can put a few things down, like bark chippings or straw...

...the problem with chippings is that the chicken don't have much to grip on, so straw is preferable.

I have a static run 10M x 6M in total, I've just written a thread about mucking out in the chicken section. We only bought our new place a few months ago, and we 'inherited' our chickens, run etc - the previous owners hadn't mucked out before we got it, so a lot of hard work for me!

A small run would be MUCH easier to look after!

The problem is with any floor covering is that when it rains, unless the run is covered, you get a nasty mix of floor covering, poo and mud.

If you'r going to clean it out every week or two it should be a LOT easier!

)t'
manda

Post by manda »

You could put a bit of tarp over part of the run which would cut down on the damp if it rained
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Is this an arc with an enclosed run? It would be very difficult to 'muck out' without moving it, if so. And as you say, not good if you don't and one of them has a tummy bug , or worms or anything. Maybe you could move it back and to over a small area, and poo-pick diligently.
Have a look at the members pictures and see what we have, quite a lot of us have fixed runs.

In the winter even the regular visits you make to the hens can turn the garden into a quagmire!
They are worth it though.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Have you looked at Stiggy's thread Mucking Out Day?
Roma5
Learner Laner

Post by Roma5 »

I've only had my 3 hens since April so I've got lots to learn... but I'm afraid the only way I've found to keep the grass growing is to move them every 2 days. I have to be quite strict with myself. If I leave it any longer there isn't any grass left to recover!

I've got about 8 places where I can put them before they come back to the same patch and I clear all the poo off to the compost heap each time we move the hen house. So far the grass seems to be making a good recovery each time. In fact my girls seem to be doing a great job at getting all the moss and weeds out for me. Although I suspect it will all change come the autumn and I will still end up with a large section of mud in the garden.

Fortuately for the hens they are much more entertaining than grass and fortunately for me my partners is happy about anything which means he has less grass to mow! :-D
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Welcome to the site, both of you.
I like your hens Roma, are they Black Rocks?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Ah, yes. I've read the first post now. Beautiful birds, Black Rocks, I had 2 a few years back and I think they were they best hens I've had. Yours are some characters!
BellThirsty
Learner Laner

Post by BellThirsty »

Thanks for that everyone. I had a look at Stiggy's mucking out thread and it kind of puts into perspective what I have to do!!
We've had a few days rain, the first of any real rain since I got the hens and I can see that a certain part of the lawn is going to be 'written off' once the winter comes.
I think I will have another option soon though as I will be cutting down a row of large bushes which would leave space for a much larger run so I think then a static run could be an option.
I'll get to enjoy my chickens and my wife gets to enjoy her garden!